Friday 1 May 2015

Something Scenic

Hi everyone and happy first of May, yay, a month without an r in it, should mean warmer weather here in the Northern Hemisphere....
It's the start of a new challenge over at the Countryview Challenge blog and our theme this month is "Something Scenic".
Loved this theme as it gave me a change to ink up some of my scenic stamps, that so often get forgotten about.
The stamps I used are from Darkroom Door and I used some simple masking techniques to create it.
I cut a piece of smooth stamping card and then made a mask using some masking material and die cut a rectangular aperture.
I inked through the aperture with 3 colours of Distress Inks: Weather Wood, Stormy Sky and Vintage photo. I then punch a circular mask, adhered it and darkened the colours around it, to create a moon. The picture above shows it with the circular mask in place and the one below with it removed.
The fact that the moon has a little colour stops it from looking too stark.

Next I stamped my chosen image with the main aperture mask still in place, and then two further images from the same set with the mask removed.
I stamped the main image in Watering can archival. I made a bit of a mess of it, so stamped an extra tree and hand drew some little birds, to cover up my mess. Embrace imperfection like usual.....

The two additional images were stamped in black archival. I coloured the box with some red Distress inks (Festive Berries and Aged Mahogany) and added a bit of extra light around the lamp post with water brush.
Then all I did was mat and layer it, and voila, all done.....

Here are a couple of details still:


A little bit of shading helps to add a bit of extra depth.

Hope you'll decide to play along with our challenge, but whatever you do, make sure to check out the wonderful different interpretations from the design team here and I am sure you'll feel inspired!

Hope you'll have a creative month of May! I'll be back later in the day with my project for Mixed Media Monthly, so hopefully see you then.
Thanks for visiting like always


30 comments:

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Love the light from the lamp post - great detail! Lovely card!

Stamps and Paper said...

Absolutely stunning card Astrid

Anne

Vintagehandmade said...

What a genius idea with the light from the lamp post, Astrid! Absolutely stunning card! Love the beautiful scene you created!
Hugs :)
Branka xxx

froebelsternchen said...

What a PERFECT Scene Astrid... gorgeous!

Kerstin F. said...

Wonderful inspiration Astrid, gorgeous scenic card! Hugs, Kerstin

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous scene! Hugs, Valerie

Maryann Laursen said...

WAUW another beauty here Astrid. I love how you made the wonderful background here and made it all fit so perfect together in the end. And again in such amazing colors too.

Candy C said...

Astrid...this is such a cool piece! To make something so detailed and beautiful literally out of nothing! What an amazing use of stamps!!

May said...

Hi Astrid,
What a beauty, Love the scene stamp you used your tutorial was fantastic... You inspire me always... Hugs May x x

Pamellia said...

Wow, just brilliant!! I am loving your background with the big beautiful moon!! The card and phone booth are such great additions! A wonderful scene Astrid, so atmospheric. hugs :)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

A great scenery in lovely colours...and I love the achieved 3D effect Astrid!
Greetings, Alie :-)

rachel said...

a gorgeous make Astrid - I love creating scenes so this is going to be a joy to join in with! Hugs rachel x

massofhair said...

Fantastic scene Astrid love the 3D effects you have achieved, the light from the lamp post is warming and gets you into the mood of the scene so well. So many wonderful little touches, thanks you for sharing the background tutorial :-) xxx

Dorthe said...

How beautiful, with the English city at night, a lovely stamp, and your masking and colourtones are wonderful- the light from the lamp, looks so lovely, also your PERFECT birds I love !!
Hugs,Dorthe

brenda said...

We can but hope on the weather front Astrid.

Super card with fab stamping and inking.

Hope you have a good holiday weekend.

B x

Joan said...

Like the depth of this scene and I also like the fact that you mention your stamping is not always perfect,what a great cover up you did ! Perfect piece and the lovely red phone box really completes the scene brilliantly

Joan

Unknown said...

For sure I need to go to the Astrid School of Vintage Wonders. I have tried to figure out how you did this - but I'm still not sure I got it! I had to go online and look up what an aperture was and mostly got cameras!!! One thing for sure... this is just sooooooooooooooooooo awesome. j.

Redanne said...

You really have created the most wonderful scene Astrid and I absolutely love the phone box and taxi. I love how you created light around the lamp and the moon is stunning! Hugs, Anne xx

experiments in paper said...

Oh, Astrid - I love this scene!! Especially that sky and moon - absolutely STUNNING! As is the whole scene - I love the telephone box (I am a fan of Dr. Who and would love to see one of these things in person someday, lol!) The red color here is just perfect. Off to see the next project! xxx Lynn

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Astrid,
Looks to me as if you enjoyed this Challenge, the scene is terrific, adding the depth is an art in itself and you have succeeded on all fronts.
Smiles:)
Sue

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a gorgeous street scene!! You've added such depth and atmosphere to these stamps I am totally awed. Absolutely stunning!! xx

chrissie said...

A wonderful scene and terrific to see how you created it Astrid--thank you

Love Chrissie xx

Jenny Marples said...

What a great dimensional scene Astrid. Jenny x

Ros Crawford said...

This is amazing!! So very clever!

Jennie Atkinson said...

So brilliantly artistic! The background sky is just stunning and I love all the overstamped elements. Just gorgeous! Jennie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

This scene and the way you made it is a brilliant example of your amazing stamping! Love the addition of the telephone box and car to lead us into the scene! Chrisx

Inkypinkycraft said...

i struggled with this but you have created a beauty! x

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a truly fabulous creation, Astrid! When I clicked to look at what this post was about and saw the card when it loaded, I was thtrilled down to my toes. I LOVE that you chose a British scene, and added the black cab and telephone box. It's a stunning work of art from a beautiful card artist.

A truly brilliant make and I love it. ~ Cobs. x

Deb said...

Wonderful Astrid! I feel like I'm on a street in London, what a perfect scene.

Words and Pictures said...

Great masking to create your scene, and I love how the two newer elements pop out of the frame to bring us closer to the present - such a clever way to create extra depth.
Alison xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key