Friday 22 March 2019

A new week, a new page and some faux leather

Hello friends, it’s Friday and that usually means a new post from me. So this week I have my new calendar page to share and also a little mini travel journal with a faux leather cover and insert, all made from scratch.
Here first of all are some photos of the new calendar/planner spread, - when I took the photos it was only partially filled in.
The background was created with some Papper Artsy Fresco paint in Buff, mixed with some Decoart Media Trancelucent White, both of which were on my palette anyway from another project. I also added a few sprays of Vintage Photo Distress Oxide spray and quite a bit of water, all while the paint was still wet. I added some stencilling with a Tim Holtz stencil and Ranger translucent mat texture past and then I added some of my usual elements, stamping washis a wax seal etc.
The bee stamp is from a set by AALL&Create
Wax seal and dried leaf from my garden
Some of the washis were plain brown and I stamped them with Stazon Opaque white.
The sentiment is from one of Tim's word sticker collections. I always like to add some words to my pages. The scribbly stamp behind is also from the same AALL&Create set.
So far for the calendar page... I also made a tiny (6 x 3") travel journal, - I made it that size because I wanted to use the 6 x 6 Kaisercraft Pen and Ink collection papers, which when folded in half and trimmed a little, make for the perfect insert.
Here is the cover. I used a technique first learnt from Sheena Douglass, and rather than giving you a long winded description, here is a link to her Youtube tutorials for the process if you are interested.
I dry embossed the front
But left the back cover just plain, I actually like that better. The metal bit is actually a faux metal sticker purchased in the States a while back. Think it was at Michaels.
I added an extra strip for the spine to give it more strength, and used a really simple elastic closure. The inside was lined with fabric, like Sheena suggests.
A few photos of some of the inside pages, I have done many more, but I thought this post was long enough already...
Because the 6 x 6 papers I used are one sided, every other spread is always blank, which is of course perfect for journaling.
on one of the pages I added a little journal card, from Tim Holtz, but further decorated by me.
Here you can see the other side of the journal card

Well, that's it for this week. Sorry it's quite a long post, but at least I only post once week (grin)
Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for your visit
xxxxx








21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal is wonderful, love the vintage look, and great to see all the details- A beautiful, vintage creation. Hugs, Valerie

Brenda Brown said...

Oh my Astrid what a fabulous post to wander through this morning with all those gorgeous photos of your calendar page and mini journal. I remember well when we had a spate of making that faux leather and it wears so well. The elongated shape and those beautiful pages are divine and the details you’ve added look amazing. Have a great weekend my friend xxx

brenda said...

Never apologise for it being a long post Astrid as there is so much to take in and so many elements of interest and much to learn. Not least that one can now get Oxide Sprays it seems - you see I didn't even know that, I'm well and truly hooked on the inks but that's something else for my Ally Pally shopping list.

Thank you for another educational trip.

B x

Annie said...

A delightful post to meander and peruse with such stunning details and textures Astrid x Wonderful pages and I adore your faux leather journal details x
Love those stamps and the leaf on the wax seal is a lovely touch xx
TFS and huge hugs
Annie xx

Carole Pollard said...

Amazing journal age its all so beautiful fab textures and colours love and hugs Carole x

ann barnes said...

Astrid, this is a wonderful post, so much inspiration! I love your beautiful pages and intend on visiting the you tube tutorial to learn how you made that fabulous cover! Thank you for sharing! xx

Caty said...

What a so gorgeous calendar page Astrid !! Absolutelly wonderful, love the background with so pretty details and colours. I also love this fabulous travel journal, it is really great, the cover is very beautiful!! Wonderful Art ! And I want to wish you a very nice day,
Big hugs, Caty

Margaret Mifsud said...

So in love with your Calendar/planner Astrid! Each set of pages just get better and better. Once again your colour choices are perfect and I love the bit of natural greenery you included .. looks wonderful!! The travel journal is fabulous! That cover is simply awesome .. I love the faux leather look .. and the inside pages shown are gorgeous!! A great post with oodles of inspiration! Have a wonderful week! hugs xx

My name is Erika. said...

Nice honeycomb and bee images. But I will say I almost forget about that when you went on to your new handmade journal with the faux leather cover. Wow. It came out terrific and is gorgeous. I don't know whether I like the front of back more, they are so different. But both stunning. Hope you had a great week so far and happy weekend Astrid. hugs-Erika

Dorthe said...

What a beautiful post dear Astrid, I so love the page with the bee, and all the texture you created, and oh my, the faux leather is amazing,- so love it and all your wonderful pages inside . Thank you for showing !
Hugs, Dorthe

froebelsternchen said...

A divine journal! A rare beauty dear Astrid! Thank you for sharing the pages with us !
Happy weekend!
Susi

Meggymay said...

Its a gorgeous vintage style journal page Astrid, I love the wonderful details you add. Your small travel journal also looks beautiful. Its ages since I tried the faux leather technique, thank you for the reminder.
It was lovely to see the photos of the art you have been creating this past week.
Yvonne xx

Robin said...

Astrid - wonderful journal & post. Thank you also for Sheena's you tube - you made my Friday one filled with delight.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, so much inspiration today! Your calender page looks amazing with the bee theme and showcases your wax seal perfectly 😀. I adore your mini travel journal too, the faux leather and the details that your created on the inside pages are so beautiful! Wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

Rose918 said...

Beautiful as always, and so inspirational. Thank you for your long post! I loved every bit of it!

Maryann Laursen said...

Don´t apologize, as it´s been an absolut pleasure to walk it all through, and I for one have definitely enjoyed the trip here. As always your work is sooo amazing and beautiful and you always explains sooo well, how it´s done, so you really want to go and try it right away. I just wish I had so much more time to try everything I want to all the time ha ha ha.
Have a wonderful week-end now and I´ll lookk forward to see, what you´ll bring us here next week.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A real thing of beauty Astrid and how lucky we are to get to see some of it's pages, rightly so you should keep some back to tease and tempt us for future peaks. What we see is so inspiring with it's stamps and additional elements it just makes me want to go and make and create but there's no much time for that this weekend.
I remember seeing Sheena's technique on creating Faux leather but worried about it's longevity as sugar tends to crystallise and glucose is messy! I created some hand fasting books a few years back and they seem to be holding up fine with no complaints.
Thank you for sharing today Astrid it's always a pleasure to visit and just sit and take it in for a while with a cuppa.
Hugs for the weekend what ever your up too. Tracey xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your weekly pages blow me away...just a plethora of gorgeousness and texture, and LOVE your faux leather cover...YUMMY!

sarascloset said...

Astrid, your post did not seem at all long to me, but everything appears short after seeing some of my novels. Your weekly pages in your planner is so full of vintage goodness, as always. I love the details of the waxy looking hive n the background and the scribbly stamping. Your faux leather looks so realistic, and each of your pages are filled with beauty! thank you so much for the inspiration! Wishing you a lovely week! Hugs!

Redanne said...

I remember that faux leather technique, it really is so effective - I love your beautiful journal, inside and out! Each page is beautiful too. Sorry to be so late, have had a few days away and am still catching up. Hope the rest of your work goes well. Hugs, Anne xx

Words and Pictures said...

Of all the delights in this post, I think I'm most in love with the amazing textures. The honeycomb and the pressed fern, and the lovely touches of design tape alongside the real postage stamp make that first page spread a complete delight. I love both the front and back cover textures... I can just imagine how that feels as you pick up the book to work in it. Shamefully, my 6x6 decorated papers in my traveller's journal are still awaiting further adornment, so this is lovely inspiration.
Alison x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key