Well just last week I was able to visit one of my teamies, the lovely and talented Annie, and we had a super fun day playing with some new techniques, so it seemed fitting to use one of my projects for this special celebration challenge.
My first step was cutting the cover from mount board with the die and gluing it together. I then covered the mountboard with calico fabric for added strength.
Annie had the fun idea of playing with hotglue, so the texture on the cover is created with a hot glue gun. This is what it looked like in it's first stage:
We had watched some youtubes of people doing projects with a gluegun, and several showed, how after having covered everything with gesso, you can add some gold paint and when that has dried completely, go over it with a dark colour and then wipe away some of that to let some of the gold appear again.
A quick word of warning, when using hot glue for texture you can't use a heat tool for drying between layers as it melts the glue and takes away the texture, that's why I had to finish my project at home).
At this point I decided I wanted a rusty patina look for my cover so out came a variety of sprays to try and achieve that, blueish patina first of all, I used both Lindy's Stampgang and Distress Sprays, as well as some Finnabair Magicals.
Next I had to decide on a closure for my journal, - at first my idea had been to use a ribbon closure attached under some design paper on the inside of the covers which you can see here:
Learning to do dip pen calligraphy has been my personal journey in the last few weeks, something I have spent many hours on, so I thought I would close this post by sharing one of the recent samples of my efforts with Copperplate style script:
Well, that's it from me for today. If you have not been yet, do hop over to A Vintage Journey to see the birthday projects my talented teamies have created and we would of course love you to show us your journey projects!
Thanks for your visit like always