Thursday 4 January 2018

Three is not a Crowd for Frilly and Funkie

Hello lovely visitors, I hope you are all well and happy. Today I am sharing a special card with you created for a guest designer post for the Frilly and Funkie blog.
I was lucky enough to be the winner of the Frilly and Funkie November challenge and was invited to do a guest post for their latest challenge theme which is "Three is not a Crowd"
This is what Cec, who is the challenge host had to say about the challenge:
Create a vintage or shabby chic project that includes three of something. Examples of three of something could be three different patterned papers, three colours, three layers, three flowers, three bows – the list goes on. This would be a perfect time to use some of the new supplies you received for Christmas or to make space in your stash by using up old supplies. Just remember to think in multiples of three.

Well, this theme had me well stumped for the longest time, but in the end I came up with this card that is based on triangles. I also tried to include threes in some of the embellishments.
So here is a short description of how I made it:
This is what you will need:
1 sheet of 12 x 12 card for your substrate, - I used Kraft card
1 sheet of 12 x 12 card or paper for matting
Either scrapbook paper or card for your final layer.
Inks, stamps and stencils plus whatever you like to decorate and finish your card.

I created a template to help with the construction:
1.To create the triangle, mark the middle of the top and bottom side, put your ruler along and draw a line of about 2.5" down. Next go to the bottom right corner and draw a line the the line you just drew and make a mark at exactly 12". Do the same from the left bottom corner and where the two meet is the top of your triangle.
2. Cut out your triangle.

3. Score and fold as shown on the template, below you can see which are valley and which are mountain folds.
4. Now comes the tricky part, matting and layering. There are no doubt many ways to do this, I created another template using strips of white card:
Truth is, it did not turn out very accurately and if I did it again I would probably create another triangle, slightly smaller and use that to mat by cutting the different sections just slightly smaller too.

Anyway, on to the decortaion. I used distress inks, stamps and stencils for mine, below first the inside and back and then some close ups of the different sections:


Here are somee of the smaller triangles and one of the other sections, I mostly used various Tim Holtz layering stencils and a variety of stamps, stamped either in Distress or Archival inks in various green tones.



And here you see the card when folded together:

I added a little bird image to each of th 3 panels that show at the front. They are from an old Kaisercraft collection I had in my stash.

A larger one was added to the central triangle in the middle together with a little sentiment from one of Tim Holtz's stickers.
Finally 3 little roses and a little metal leaf decorate the top, - see I tried to stick with the theme of threes.... :o)

Well, that's it for now, thank you for your visit and thank you to the team over at Frilly and Funkie for the honour of creating this little project for them.
xxxxx

20 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

What an amazing folded star card - I can imagine how much effort in this construction lies - I have always troubles with wrong measuring on such projects - I take my hat off to you!
And so wonderful decorated - Gorgeous!
oxo Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Your star card is really beautiful, well done Hugs, Valerie

Carol said...

WOW - Stunning and thank you for sharing the template xxx

Jackie PN said...

This is absolutely amazing Astrid!! What a cool card! I have never seen a triangular one before- and I am really digging it! thanks for sharing!
Jackie xo

Annie said...

Wow!!!! This is quite superb Astrid xx Love the design and all the wonderful details you have incorporated.......such a great start to your 2018 creations and how lovely to guest at F&F too

Huge hugs Annie xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Wow, what a fascinating and unique card, Astrid! Well done!

My name is Cindy said...

That's lovely - that card shape is now on my to do list!!

Marisa Job said...

This is a beautiful project!! Great instructions!!

Dorthe said...

Oh Astrid, what a work,- so fantastic, to form the star like this. I love the colors and inks, you used, and the birdies give a beautiful romantic feeling there. Just amazing art piece, dear.
Dorthe, xox

Theresa said...

wow. just wow.

Redanne said...

And it is a huge WOW from me too Astrid, this is such clever paper engineering and what a fabulous card you have created! Love, love, love this so much!! Hugs, Anne xx

Cec said...

This is so unique and so beautifully decorated. So glad you are joining us as a Guest Designer.
Hugs!
Cec

Meggymay said...

This is a gorgeous project Astrid. A great star folded design with awesome detail.
Yvonne xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a magnificent design Astrid, I've never seen anything like this before. So unique in shape and I just love your distressed vintage touches. Congrats on you win & so well deserved...
Warmest of wishes Tracey xx

Kate Yetter said...

What a beautifully designed card. I love the unique triangular shape and elegant decorating.
Kate

Let's Art Journal said...

Congratulations on your win and being Guest Designer at Frilly and Funkie! Wow, now that is such a special and unique card - stunning 😁. I enjoyed seeing how you constructed it and how it opens up to reveal its secret compartment which is so beautiful! Wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

Dortesjs said...

Beautiful ;O)) great star. and congratulation on your win

Mrs.B said...

Congratulations on your win and GD spot and this is such a great project. The shape and folds are beautifully decorated.
Avril xx

Words and Pictures said...

Congratulations on your guest spot, and what a brilliant tutorial for a gorgeous construction. I've never seen one of these, and of course your stencilled papers and delightful vintage images make it perfect.
Alison x

TLady said...

WONDERFULLY DONE!!!!! This is STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS!!! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key