Friday 3 January 2020

Happy New Year & We are all Getting Older for A Vintage Journey

Hello everyone and let me start by wishing you all the most wonderful, happy and creative New Year.
It's the first Friday of the month and that means a new challenge is starting at A Vintage Journey, hosted this month by the wonderful Alison from Words and Pictures, who I am sure is well known to most of you.
She chose the theme "We Are All Getting Older" and this is what she had to say about her challenge:


Time for weathering and distressing, or some ageing and antiqueing. Make a project using techniques for making the new look old, whether that's paper projects, altered art or mixed media. Just remember to ensure that you create in one of our preferred styles of vintage, shabby,mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk.

Well I decided to make a Midory sized notebook/journal in vintage junk journal style, but with plenty of space for actual journaling. So let me take you on a little tour of how I created the cover first of all and then what is inside:
The cover was made from a piece of very old 8 x 8 scrapbook paper. I collaged several elements, labels, diecuts, dried flowers and a wax seal, inked the edges and then sewed around them for extra strength when opening and closing the journal.

The closure is made with a large brad and some hat elastic and the handy thing is, that as the journal gets fatter it can also be closed lenthwise as you can see from the photo below.
The inside pages are a mix of tea and coffee died papers, textured papers etc, sewn together with a simple pamphlet stitch. In total there are 24 double pages, with numerous pockets, belly bands, tuck spots etc. I will take you on a little photo tour without too much explanation as I think the images will speak for themselves.
Pages are only minimally decorated with some stenciling and stamping to leave plenty of room for writing.
I designed most of the graphics used in the pockets and journaling cards myself in Photoshop Elements, making use of some of the wonderful images from the Graphics Fairy etc.
I have tried to give the whole journal a kind of wintery feel, with some nature inspired elements included also.
There are many more pages still, but this will have given you some idea of what is inside, so I will finish with a close up of some of the journaling cards and tags etc. I made still.


Well, there you have it. Do hop over to A Vintage Journey, if you have not already done so, to see what my talented teamies have created and if you feel inspired by our theme this month, we would love to see what you create!
Thank you for your visit today and happy creating!
xxxxx







17 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Such lovely work-I am just getting into altered books and journals, found you through Jo
Hugs Kathy

Maryann Laursen said...

So gorgeous and well made as always from your hands Astrid. I love, what you´ve done here, it really looks fabulous and perfect in my eyes.
A very Happy New Year to you and everyone else inehre too, and I´m looking sooo forward to see, what this year have in the sleeves for us all.

Words and Pictures said...

Well, I knew this theme would be right up your street - vintage is your middle name!! - but you've excelled yourself with this gorgeous "old" journal. I love the subtle effect of the tea/coffee-dyed pages - the perfect ageing technique, despite all those fancy products we all love to buy! The fastening is lovely with that tiny metal snowflake, and I love all your graphics inside. The stitching is the perfect finishing touch.
Alison x

Annie said...

Wow Wow Wow !!! You always inspire me Astrid and this beautiful journal is so beautiful and inspiring too x I love the aged layers you created with tea/coffee/inks/stamps. The images you created are beautiful and I love the cards, pockets and tags. FABULOUS my friend xx

Happy New Year
Annie xx

Carol Rigby said...

I've popped over from Instagram to see your post. I love all the beautiful details Astrid.

Let's Art Journal said...

What a beautifully aged vintage journal! Using tea and coffee to stain the pages is a fabulous idea and with the touches of stenciling and stamping creates a stunning worn and weathered look to the pages 😁. Those pretty journaling cards and tags are the perfect addition too! Wishing you a happy and creative New Year too! Hugs, Jo x

Dorthe said...

I so love your tags and cards, they are beauty from another time, and wonderful, Astrid.
Also the journal, with the stained pages, and lovely look from tea , gives this a feeling of days gone by, and yes , us getting older.
So gorgeous , I admire all the journals you are creating .
Hugs to you, Dorthe

My name is Erika. said...

Love the images and those beautiful details Astrid. You've created some wonderful pieces. Wishing you a wonderful 2020-hope it is a great year!

Patty O'Malley said...

Amazing work, Astrid!

Nikki Acton said...

Amazing vintageness - as we would expect! Love all your embellishments - so subtle, so effective xx

brenda said...

As always a lovely creation. So sorry my eye problems have prevented me visiting lately but wanted to wish you a Happy and Crafty New Year.

B x

Deb said...

Exquisite as always Astrid, I adore all of your perfect vintage embellishments and the tea and coffee dyed papers inside delicately stamped and stenciled are to die for. Absolutely gorgeous, thanks so much for sharing it and wishing you and yours a very happy New Year! Deb xo

Corry said...

What a lovely Creation you also have a nice blog. I started following you. I want to invite you to come and take a look at my blog and you might like to follow me too. my blog is corryscardandcreationswhat a beautiful card, you also have a nice blog. I started following you. I want to invite you to come and take a look at my blog and you might like to follow me too. my blog is corryscardandcreations
Hugs Corry

عطيه الصاوى said...

شركة تنظيف بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف فلل بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف منازل بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالاحساء
شركة تنظيف كنب بالاحساء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالاحساء
شركة رش مبيدات بالاحساء

Julia Aston said...

What wonderful layering on your cover Astrid with the pretty closure and stitched edges. Such beautiful stained aging on your inside pages. Love the images on the cards and tags inserted in the pockets with the pretty bits of lace and ribbons! xx

GeneGribouille03 said...

Bravo c'est magnifique et élégant tellement féminin belle journée

sarascloset said...

Oh, my goodness! This is a just drop dead gorgeous vintage journal! Each of those pages is perfectly decorated to invite one to jot their thoughts. So pretty! And again, apologies from me for being tardy! Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key