Friday 1 December 2017

A steamy Christmas for Mixed Media Monthly #43

Hello lovely visitors, this is my third and final post for today, busy times here on the first of the month.....
This project is for Mixed Media Monthly where the theme this month is "Believe".
I created an 8 x 8 steampunk themed Christmas canvas, meant for a friend who loves steampunk.
Here is the graphic for our challenge this month
No automatic alt text available.
Our fantastic sponsor is Boozy Bear, who sells an amazing selcection of stencils and chipboard elements. These are the products I used for my canvas: a stencil called "123" and two steampunk themed chipboard pieces, - "Spin Around the Clock" and "Gear Wings".

Here's a quick step by step of how this came together:
I used two pieces of steampunk style paper from an old collection of DCWV papers I had in my stash, I sanded around the edges to reveal the white core and to distress them a bit.
This is the smaller of the two pieces that I used to stencil over with my stencil and some Distress Ink in Ground Espresso.
Next I selected my chipboard pieces, I broke the Spin Around the Clock one in two, to make it fit onto my canvas with the composition I had in mind. I wanted to give the pieces a metallic look, so rubbed Versamark ink all over them and then embossed them with Stampendous Ancient Silver embossing powder.
I wanted them to look more like corroded metal so pounced Pitchblack alcohol ink over them.
I chose one of Tim Holtz's paper dolls to be the focal point for my piece and then all I had to do was put it all together.
The Merry Christmas piece is a Calico Craftpart and the word believe was computer generated.

I added a little bit of shadow around my steampunk angel using a Stabilo All pencil, fixed a little Tim Holtz star embellishment to his forhead and I was done.

Well that's it for today, I apologize for so many posts all on one day, thank you for your visit(s) and your patience, and if you have a spare minute please hop over the the Mixed Media Challenge blog to see what my teamies have created and I hope you will find the time to play along with us.
xxxxx


20 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Astrid xx This is simply stunning and I just love all the details you have incorporated on this fantastic card...what a treasure xx

TFS and huge hugs
Annie xx

2amscrapper said...

Astrid, I really love your steampunk take on this month's theme. Helene

Pamellia said...

What a wonderful steampunk card! I love the rusted metal effects you achieved on the chipboard pieces, and your background is just amazing!! So many different styles in your posts today, well done! hugs :)

froebelsternchen said...

Absolutely UNIQUE and beautiful - such a special x-mas card!

Dorthe said...

A fantastic canvas , dear Astrid, and wow I love the greyboard pieces, embossed and painted over they looks just stunning !! Truly a gorgeous Christmas card to a steampunk lover .
Dorthe, xxxx

Meggymay said...

Wow Astrid, what a feast of stunning projects you have shared with us today. They are all fabulous.
Yvonne xx

sarascloset said...

Astrid, this is an amazing steampunk piece and so unexpected when I think of the theme 'Believe'! I love your inky layers on the back ground and those embossed chippies are fantastic. This is going down as one of my favorites from you, but there are MANY favorites! Hugs!

Let's Art Journal said...

You have been busy and it's such a treat seeing and being inspired by all the amazing eye candy you have posted today 😉. Your steampunk Christmas canvas is amazing, I bet your friend loves it! I loved how you sanded the edges of the paper and added the stencilling. The detail you created is stunning and the Spin Around the Clock chipboard pieces are beautiful and just look like corroded metal - I love it 😁. Great new theme at Mixed Media Monthly Challenge too, I hope to join you soon! Wishing you a lovely weekend! J 😊

Redanne said...

You definitely made those chipboard pieces look like metal Astrid, they are fabulous, I love the background papers too - it is a beautiful steampunk Christmas card! Hugs, Anne xx

krcmasterpiece said...

I love the technique! looks cool!.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! I am loving this steampunk canvas Astrid! A wonderful take on a Christmas Theme .. your friend is going to be thrilled to bits to receive this! The finish on the chipboard is awesome and I love the colour choices too. Absolutely stunning piece!! hugs xx

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous use of papers and stencils and then those great embellishments over the top. Great card Astrid xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Fabulous card Astrid, love how embossing powder brings a whole new life to elements and surfaces. That wee laddie looks very proud of his wings. Stunning rendition. Hugs Tracey x

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - you really did have a busy 1st December, didn't you?! Love this steampunk take on the Christmas season. The corroded metal look you've created with the embossing powder is amazing on those intricate chipboards, and I love the misty depth of the background too. Very cool!
Alison x

maj. said...

This looks fantastic! Brilliant project!!!

Shari Czerwinski said...

Love this! A steampunk Christmas card is such an unsuspected, but fantastic design!

vaiybora said...

Wow, absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

เย็ดสาว

Sandy Ross said...

I just love your Christmas canvas and your step by step is inspirational!

Lilian said...

What a fun canvas!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Courtney said...

Absolutely lovely! I bet your friend adored this! Beautiful project. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous work!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key