Sunday 15 December 2013

A Very Vintage Christmas at Our Creative Corner

Hello everyone and so lovely to have you visiting here!
Today it is the turn of team B to show our Very Vintage Christmas creations, and here is my make:
But before I tell you how I went about creating it, here are the details of the challenge for those of you who perhaps have not yet seen it:
    For this challenge we are abandoning traditional Christmas colours and are giving Christmas a Vintage tone. No reds, no greens, just neutrals.

     The challenge here is to use a neutral palette....so think about shades of creamy hot chocolate, glistening white snow, rich dark sherry and mince pies, ivory candles, rustic wooden logs, roasting chestnuts and brown paper packages tied up with string!


    This Christmas we want you to make anything you like - Cards, ATC's, Tags, Scrapbooking, journals, Gifts, Altered art......anything you like....but please use only neutral colours from ice white, through to ivory and cream, beige to dark brown and black. You can also use metal embellishments, metal paints and stains.


Please Note - Your creation does NOT have to be 'Vintage style' - We would love to see Christmas creations in any style, but please keep to a neutral colour scheme.


I altered a wooden canvas, though canvas is probably the wrong word, as it is actually a wooden board, but it has the shape of a deep canvas.
I started by adding some texture to the wood with the help of a honey comb texture folder and some texture paste. When dry I covered it all with a layer of Gesso and then added a mixture of Fresco Finish and Distress paints in my favourite neutral tones until I was happy with the result. I also added some background stamping and a few strips of tissue tape.

This was done both to the top and to the sides

Next I cut a couple of Spellbinders nesting dies out of an empty cereal packet. The larger one was treated with a layer of Fresco French Roast, then some Crackle Glaze and finally a mixture of Snowflake and Vanila Fresco paint with a bit of Antique Linen Distress paint into the mix. I cut the smaller die again, this time from smooth stamping paper and stamped a La Blanche Angel stamp in Potting Soil Archival Ink and blended some Vintage Photo around the edges. I glued that to my cereal packet one and then adhered both shapes together to form the vocal image of my canvas. I also edged the larger one with some Treasure Gold Renaissance Gold.

Now for the embellishment: I took an Ideaology crown and couple of wings, painted them in similar colours and when dry, highlighted with Treasure Gold again. I adhered them next and above the vocal image.

I also added a flower cluster painted with similar colours again. After it was glued to the board I tucked a few sprocket gears in between still. Next I covered the central image with a wet baby wipe, took a deep breath and gave the flower cluster a few spritzes with Walnut Ink spray. Once that had dried I highlighted the flowers with a touch of Gesso.


The final step was to add a couple of little wooden snow flakes that I had covered with some Rock Candy Distress Glitter, for a wintery touch and a little stamped Tim Holtz happy Christmas ticket..
And there you have it....
If you would like to see what my teamies have created (and trust me, you will not want to miss that), please click HERE,  and we all very much hope that you will play along with us if you have not yet done so.

43 comments:

Rossella said...

Just gorgeous, Astrid
Rosie x

Marianne said...

Stunning Astrid, what a beauty!!
xxx Marianne

Jenny Marples said...

The close up shots really show how beautiful and detailed this is Astrid. Love the text, the age worn look to the painted surface and the embossing, all of which go to compliment the beautiful central angel perfectly. Great work again. Jenny x

Redanne said...

Oh my.....this is stunning. The background is just gorgeous and I love the way you have layered up the elements - a truly wonderful piece Astrid. Hugs, Anne x

Ros Crawford said...

Incredibly beautiful! I love the expression on the girl's face too ... Well done to you ...

Evelyn Walter said...

Sooo wonderful, dear Astrid! I really love the color combo.
Hugs Evelyn

May said...

Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous...Love it all...Hugs May x x x

Rita said...

What a Wonderful Creation. I've never seen anything quite like it Astrid. I love everything about it. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Paper Profusion said...

One word Astrid - Sublime! Nicola x

Unknown said...

Beautiful Astrid! May your holidays keep you at peace and in good health! xo

Maryanne said...

This is gorgeous, Astrid! What a fabulous project! I love the angel stamp and the texture and details you added are fabulous! It's just wonderful!!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Lovely mixed materials on this vintage creation Astrid

Dorthe said...

Dear Astrid,
this is the most beautiful "canvas" ever-
Your play with blue-brown and treasure gold, makes stunning results, and that angel image is just beautiful,with her extended wings and the crown, and snowflakes .The flower and texture is fantastic, dear.
Such a fantastic piece.
Hugs ,Dorthe

Words and Pictures said...

It's absolutely glorious, Astrid - and I love that it's made on wood... I can just imagine how it feels in one's hands, dense and heavy with beautiful textures. Absolutely stunning!
Alison xx

Inkypinkycraft said...

this is gorgeous , very you and very beautiful. you create such yummy backgrounds and this is no exception! hugs x trace x

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous, I love all the elements :) Happy Sunday, Shirleyx

Annie said...

Stunning canvas Astrid and I love the way you have used the LB stamp.

Hope to play along with you all at OCC.

Best wishes and TFS

Annie x

Martina said...

How awesome!! Love your creation, dear Astrid! You are soooo talented my friend and your work
is truely inspirational!!

froebelsternchen said...

GORGEOUS Astrid - simply GORGEOUS!

rachel said...

such a gorgeous piece Astrid - beautiful - I love the textures and colour xx

artwolf2009 said...

what great scenery for that stamp, fantastic

Elly said...

I'm melting away.... just as always (:o)

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a great mixed medium art work, beautiful image, great structure and beautiful colours !! Just gorgeous!!

Greetings
maria

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is gorgeous Astrid! xxx

Heather Jacob said...

wow wow wow what an amazing creation Astrid, love love love this treasure xoxoxo

Meggymay said...

A stunning project, love the beautiful subtle colours.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Beautiful project Astrid, I love the colours and the main image is gorgeous. Sue C x

Anonymous said...

Oh my word this is sublime - the layers, the colours and to top it all that beautiful stamped focal.
Wishes
Lynne

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

What a breathtaking vintage christmas work, I'm fascinated.
Big hugs Anja

Von said...

Just wonderful Astrid :)
Von ♥

Sandy said...

Wonderful Astrid - you really have a way with design. I love that image - she sure does have a lot of depth.
Happy Holidays sugar!
sandy

Jeannette said...

WOW WOW,this is GEORGUS!!
I love all details on it,Awesome,Bravo!!!
Thanks for your Kind comment of my Blog.

happy christmas :-)

Greetings Jeannette

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

What a superb altered piece Astrid! The muted colour palette really shows off this project. Outstanding! xx

PetraB said...

Absolutely stunning, truly beautiful.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! again Astrid!!! Another gorgeous art piece. Love the gold highlights against those neutral colours and that angel stamp is stunning!! Love, love, love!!! ox

Maryann Laursen said...

And once again you´ve just outdone yourself and made such an amazing piece of art here Astrid. I absolutely LOVE this one, and the stunning colors are just so me too, as well as all your lovely details on it too. Everything is just sooo perfect and looks sooo fabulous as always. You tryly are an amazing artist, and I soo LOVE your gorgeous work and this one too.

Valerie-Jael said...

This s a really beautiful piece. Valerie

chrissie said...

Stunning Astrid with wonderful colours and textures to highlight the image

Love Chrissie x

Candy C said...

Astrid...this is absolutely stunning! Your backgrounds always fascinate me with their gorgeous blended colors and subtle detail. This is amazing! And I so love your baroque focal point using that gorgeous stamped image of that sweet little face. Beautiful piece! Love, Candy

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

The background of your canvas is absolutely sensational, Astrid! Beautiful colors and worn looking stamped images. Your focal image is delightful and I love the music bars in the background. And the patina on your metal pieces is gorgeous. What a wonderful vintage Christmas piece you have created!

Hugs,
Linda

Terry said...

Exquisite background as always! The neutral color palette and the gold touches give such a beautiful vintage feel! Love how you gave light to the face! Enjoy the week!

Marisa Job said...

Another stunning project!! Love the background too!!

Ana K. said...

Absolutely stunning Astrid….I love every single piece in this board and background is fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key