Sunday 28 March 2021

From mixed media master board to postcard

 Hello all and thanks for dropping in here. Today I have a postcard to share, made with the help of a so called master board.

I made this post card because the lovely Mandy Chilvers invited me to host her weekly Sunday Postcard Art challenge. The theme this week is lavender. I do enjoy making postcards, and please note this is not a double greeting card, it's just a single layer, 4 by 6" in size.

Below a quick look at how I put it together.

I started with a piece of A 4 Kraft card that I covered with a random selection of old book pages and other scraps.
Next I adhered some pieces of lace  and then covered everything with a thick layer of gesso, but making sure some bits of the layer below were still visible.
I wanted some more texture so also added some crackle paste here and there.

Once everything had totally dried I cut it into various pieces. The piece on the right became the postcard, the bit on the left was turned into a little book and the two smaller pieces will become journal cards.

Below the postcard again with some description of what I did:


I coloured the background with a mix of Distress Oxide Sprays, Distress Spray stains and some Distress Crayons. 

I was not too happy with the result, so decided to add some texture paste mixed with some gold acrylic paint through a stencil. This with the aim to add more texture and lighten it all up a bit.


I added some collage elements along the bottom and finished with a lavender sticker I happened to have in my stash.


A postage stamp and little butterfly were the final touches. Below is a picture of the cover of the little book I made with most of the rest of the master board. What you see is just the cover, but I sewed some coffee stained pages inside to make it into a little book.


Master boards are a great way to use up scraps and create a base layer for other projects.

Well, that's it for today. If you like making postcards, why not take a look at the Sunday Postcard Art blog

You can add your postcard in the comments below my sample, and if you do, I would love to see them!

Thanks for your visit like always

xxxxx



11 comments:

Rosie said...

I love lavender and your gorgeouw artwork, Astrid

Rita said...

My word Astrid these pieces are beautiful. I couldn’t see well enough just now to even attempt something like this. Hope maybe after the 26th April we can arrange a meet up once again. Hugs Rita xxxx

Bella said...

Very very beautiful| xoxo

Theresa said...

Love these two pieces. I can see some masterboard making in my near future. thanks as always for sharing.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Gorgeous art pieces.

Annie said...

Astrid, your postcard is SO beautiful! I love seeing how you made it. I’ve tried only very basic master boards so I’ve got to try one that ends up having some texture. Thanks for showing your steps. The little book looks wonderful too!

Maryann Laursen said...

You have as always made such a gorgeous project here, and I love both the postcard and the little booklet as well. Both looks absolut amazing as everytbhing you create hun. Wish I had your ability to think out these amazing projects all the time. You are such a talented lady, and I just love your work. Have a wonderful Easter ahead here now everyone.

MD said...

Waouhhhhhhhhh
Super bravos����

Michele said...

I so appreciate reading about your process. the end results, both the postcard and little book, are masterpieces. you've also inspired me to do more with layers and texture in my collage work so thank you! I also linked a postcard on my blog, http://artfromthewell.blogspot.com/2021/03/lavender-meditation.html?m=1 xo

iHanna said...

Stunning both process pictures and finished result!

/iHanna

Sugarhill Crafter said...

Very nice! I love lavender and I am learning how to do mixed media so this is perfect!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key