Friday 7 December 2018

Star light Star bright for A Vintage Journey

Hello friends, well, it's the first Friday in December and that means a new challenge is starting at A VINTAGE JOURNEY. The lovely Julia is our host and the theme this month is, as my title suggests: Star light, Star bright. I created a reverse canvas for the challenge:
This is what Julia had to say about the challenge: "This month we are asking you to create with stars.  Fill up the dark winter sky with them or use one really big one as your central focus.  Stencil them, stamp them, emboss them or die cut them.  Make a card, make a star box, make a canvas, create a journal page -  remembering to create in the vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial or steam punk styles".

Well, there you have it, plenty of chance to become creative, - sometimes the best antidode to this super busy time.

Anyway, on to my project.  Unfortunately the light has been so bad here lately that I have no process photos, but I'll try and give some steps on how I put this together.
I started by covering the canvas with gesso and when dry added a number of different chip board and metal pieces that I had been hoarding for just a project such as this. 
Next everything was cover with a number of different colours of Decoart paints, until I was happy with the overall effect.

I also added a Sizzix tree die cut I had coloured with various Distress Inks.


Because stars were to be a feature of the challenge I then added some stars using a couple of Tim Holtz stencils and some texture paste and while that was still wet sprinkled on some Distress Glitter Dust in Vintage Platinum in various places, including on the tree.
A die-cut sentiment, cut from metallic Kraft card was added in the background.
And finally one of Tim Holtz Paper Dolls.


.And some texture paste sprinkled with Clear Distress Glitter Dust to give it a bit more of a wintry feel still.
Some berries and die - cut branches, little cones and leaves finished it all off.
Well, that's it from me for today. I hope you will hop over to A VINTAGE JOURNEY,
and hopefully you will find the time to play along with our challenge, - we always love to see what you create.

xxxxx








23 comments:

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful starry winters scene Astrid! I love all the texture with your pastes and stenciling. Your tree is beautiful in front of that lovely clock works background and the scrolls are so pretty around the edges of the frame along with your vintage mittened young girl! Thanks for playing in my challenge this month! Julia xx

Maryann Laursen said...

Avery beautiful scenery, and I love the colors and the different structures on it too. Really beautiful work, well done as always.

Brenda Brown said...

What a gorgeous mixed media canvas Astrid. You have included some fabulous textures both in and around the frame which has resulted in a wonderful wintry feel. The tree, the natural elements and the paper doll have brought it together beautifully, love it xxxx

Anonymous said...

So lovely and cute. I like it very much.
Happy season
Greetings from Germany
Thurid

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a pretty wintery scene. I like the greenery you added, although not real if makes the border look wonderful. All the texture does look great too. I like how you dressed it up in the photo too. Hugs-Eria

Redanne said...

You have created such a welcoming scene with your canvas Astrid, I just love all the texture and the tree looks wonderful with the glittery star on top. The paper doll was just the perfect finishing touch! Hugs, Anne xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Love this!

Diana Taylor said...

Such a beautiful scene - I love the gorgeous colours and textures adn the little gold stars are just delightful. It would look fabulous on a festive mantlepiece.
Diana x

Words and Pictures said...

Just the sweetest Paper Doll - don't think I've spotted her - and I love your subtle shimmering stars, both in the branches of the fir tree and around the deliciously textured frame. This is a wonderful piece of festive decor.
Alison x

Jackie PN said...

Absolutely Gorgeous! I love your tiny scene. The clocks in the background are a super addition! I love that idea! The tree and the little one out front, this almost looks lifelike!
Always a treat to visit Astrid!
Merry Christmas my friend!
Jackie xo

Meggymay said...

A very beautiful project and a lovely winters scene, I loved the details and the sweet paper doll girl.
Yvonne xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a stunning scene you have created here Astrid!! I love the colours and all the texture and I love all the shimmery stars! The tree is gorgeous and I love the little paper doll as well! A gorgeous, festive piece! Have a wonderful weekend!! hugs xx

Corry said...

I have visited your blog, a very nice blog and you make beautiful creations. I went to follow you. I want to invite you to take a look at my blog and maybe you want to follow me too
Corry

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous canvas Astrid. Gorgeous texture and detail, love it xXx

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a beautiful project dear Astrid, great details and your vintage style is wonderfull!! I just love it!!

Greetings and have a wonderful end of the year!!

Annie said...

Loving this amazing shadow box Astrid x Great textures both inside and out and I love the tree with stars xx

TFS and hugs hugs
Annie xx

Paper Profusion said...

Wonderful reverse canvas Astrid laden with oodles of fab texture and tactile elements. The little Christmas doll is so sweet too. Nicola x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

So soft and snowy! LOVE the little darling in the corner. Very cool too.

Dorthe said...

A wonderful festive shrine , love the tree, surrounded by stars , and the lovely girl waiting to enter this wonderland, -beautiful with berries and cones, Astrid.
Hugs, Dorthe

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning canvas! I love how you incorporated the stars on your tree and background and the texture that you created is amazing - beautiful 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a wonderful week! J 😊 x

A Pink said...

You have created a wonderful wintry scene full of texture and detail, Astrid. So many lovely touches - your hoarded bits and pieces, the die cut tree, the twinkling stars, the natural elements and the colours all work together in harmony to create a fabulous piece of art .
Great to see a photo of you n Marjie together in NYC today on FB. Hope you had/ are having a fantastic time .
hugs x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I can imagine this was a real pleasure to work on Astrid, so many textures and layers a real work of art and a magnificent scene. One of those projects to look at and discover something new or hidden with each glance.
Glad I managed to catch it.. Big Hugs Tracey xx

sarascloset said...

What a beauty, Astrid and so true to your lovely style! I do love your style with so much crusty texture and depth of color. This is a gorgeous wintry scene and will look so lovely in your home for Christmas! Wishing you a peaceful and joyous Christmas and blessings for the New Year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key