Friday 5 October 2018

Autumn Splendour for A Vintage Journey

Hello friends, hope you are keeping well! It's the first Friday in October and that means a new challenge starting at A Vintage Journey. Our host this month is the wonderful Sara Emily, and she chose the theme Autumn Splendour. Autumn is my favourite time of year, specially for crafting.
This is what Sara had to say about the challenge: With the glorious colours of fall it would be oh so nice to see some falling leaves, pumpkins, acorns or any other favourite images that brings fall to mind. Just remember to create your project in our preferred styles of vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk.
Well, as you will see I incorporated most of these elements in my project, which is actually a little folio, created for my daughter, whose birthday was right at the end of September.

I have some step-out photos for you, so let's get started:




I started by cutting a panel with the second largest of my stitched rectangle dies, inked it with a mix of Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap and Iced Spruce Doxides and then stamped one of the leaves from the Tim Holtz Nature's Wonder set, in both Frayed Burlap and Iced Spruce Doxide Ink. I also stamped a couple of spiderwebs from the Tangled Webs set.


I cut a second panel with the large Postage Stamp Bigz die and then embossed it with the 3D woodgrain folder. I coloured it with the same colours but also added some Distress Crayons into he mix. I did not pay much attention to the central bit as I knew that would be covered anyway.
A third panel was cut to the exact size of the embossing folder and embossed with the 3D leaf swirls.
For those of you who are new to these folders, I just wanted to mention that it is really worth heeding Tim's advice of spraying lightly with water, putting the folder 3 times through your machine and then drying it with a heat gun before starting to colour. It really makes all the difference and if using thick card stock (I used Ranger Mixed Media Heavystock), your card almost gets a plaster like appearance which I totally love....
Time for embellishments. This is the larger size of the Starburst  3D Sizzlets, again using the same colours plus some Antique Bronze Distress Crayon.
And of course a collection of leaves, cut with the Fall Foliage Thinlets dies and coloured with normal Distress Inks and some Paper Artsy Infusions.
Finally a little chipboard centre for the starburst diecut, coloured with a mix of Distress Inks and Infusions and then covered with Glassy Accents, a trick I learnt on YouTube from the lovely Scrapcosy one of the Paper Artsy designers.

Alright, onto the inside of this little folio (it has a 1/4 inch spine, so there is some space inside.
As you can see, on the right I created a pocket to hold a large tag (cut with a Graphics 45 die). It has a personal message to my daughter on the back.
On the left side a similar panel to the front, in addition to the leaf stamp I also used some stamps that came free with a cardmaking magazine.

On the right the pocket and large tag. The pocket was decorated with a strip of hessian/burlap and some die cuts, the pumpkin and acorn come with one of the sidekick sets and the leaves are from the Funky Florals set 3 I think.
They were all coloured with various Distress Inks and a water brush.
And here finally is the tag, decorated with further 3D Sizzlets dies and another leaf.



Well that's it. Do head over to the Vintage Journey blog, where there is fabulous Autumn inspiration and of course we would love to see what you create!

When this post goes live, I will be in Australia where it is Spring, but I hope you will all have a super creative October and thank you for your visit here today!
xxxxx












28 comments:

S@ndy Diller said...

Always enjoy my visits to your blog. You have truly captured the colors and feeling of Autumn. Well done.

Brenda Brown said...

This is delightful Astrid and I bet your daughter loved receiving such a special folio. I love the textures and colours incorporated into your design and the wonderful contrast of autumnal elements. You have certainly created some magnificent autumn splendour in this project, I love it xxx

Maryann Laursen said...

A truly amazing and fabulous creation here, that I´m sure, your daughter will love to bits. It´s sooo beautiful and perfect with these amazing colors all in one project.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful little booklet Astrid, so many beautiful details and additions. Hugs, Valerie

brenda said...

Like you I love Autumnal crafting Astrid, it always seems so calming using those warm colours of the season, only downside is that it means winter is on it's way.

You step by step posts are always fascinating watching your build up your artwork and again it's another delightful creation.

B x

Jennie Atkinson said...

Astrid your card is absolutely stunning! There are so many wonderful details: the woodgrain panel is just amazing, and the rusting too. Then everything all created and crafted so beautifully. Thank you for such fabulous step by steps - I love them! And I love this card too x

Words and Pictures said...

I love the subtle shadowy leaf stamping both in the background, interior pages, and on the panel, and that woodgrain frame is absolutely gorgeous. The autumnal gatherings give a vivid lift of colour, which is so lovely. What a wonderful folio for your daughter.
Alison x

My name is Erika. said...

This is such a romantic take on fall. Very beautiful. I like the hint of the spider web and the how the colors of fallare there but they aren't bold and in your face. happy weekend Astrid. Hugs-Erika

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful project, Astrid! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Dorthe said...

Beautiful inside and out :-) dear Astrid,- such gorgeous details on the layers, and lovely tag.
Soo beautiful with muted background on both front, and inside . Love it !!
Hugs , Dorthe xx

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous project Astrid, your daughter will have loved this.
Have a super visit with your family .
Yvonne xx

Julia Aston said...

What a lovely fall folio for your daughter Astrid! I'm so glad you showed that wood grain embossed piece by itself - it looks just like a plank of wood! What a great job you did coloring it! Your fall foliage adds a nice touch of color in the corner and inside! Julia xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous Astrid, fabulous details. Happy creative weekend. Hugs, Angela xxx

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Stunning tag, I love all the detail. Sorry I've been MIA in blogland but all is well. Life is good and very busy ! Take good care, Shirleyx

Mrs.B said...

A lovely little folio with lots of details. Your daughter would be delighted with this.
Avril xx

Carola Bartz said...

Such a beautiful piece! I love the autumn feel about it - I agree with you, autumn is a wonderful season for creating. I haven't done any mixed media in such a long time, but your pictures and the process make me want to sit down and create.

Kate Yetter said...

This is so beautiful, Astrid! I love the Autumn touches you added.
Kate

Redanne said...

Sadly Blogger would not let me view your photos but I saw the original over at AVJ and it is beautiful - so very autumnal - a real beauty Astrid. Hugs, Anne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

So beautiful! I'm sure your daughter loved it, the pages are amazing and I love the cute pumpkin and pretty leaves that you included 😀. Autumn is one of my favourite seasons too. Apologies for my late visit we are visiting friends at the moment. Wishing you a wonderful week! J 😊 x

pearshapedcrafting said...

It seems so long since I left a comment here Astrid and I can only apologise! I have seen some posts on my phone while on our travels but find commenting difficult! I am having a massive catch up today (while we have a few days at home!) I love this little folio and enjoyed seeing the process! Autumn colours at their best! Hugs, Chrisx

A Pink said...

Astrid, You have thoroughly embraced the season creating all those fabulous detailed/ textural layers and embellishments bringing them altogether to create a card/ folio that is absolutely gorgeous and so rich in autumnal splendour. I bet your daughter will treasure this one .
Thanks for sharing its development .
hugs x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A real treat from the outside in Astrid, I adore every element used to create this beautiful booklet, full of scrumptious colour documenting the glory of the season. Another special creation for one so precious to you.
Thank you for sharing with us all.
Creative Hugs Tracey xx

Jackie PN said...

Astrid, this is absolutely gorgeous! I sit and read and reread your steps and still, there is no way any of my work ever would turn out as beautiful as yours! you are a natural at putting together the perfect elements!And I love the look of those medallions- beautiful!
hope your visit is going well! Have fun!
Jackie xo

Diana Taylor said...

Just gorgeous - what wonderful autumnal colours and your wood panel is sensational, it looks so realistic and I love the rustic feel of the finished piece, especially with the splash of leafy colour.
Diana x

sarascloset said...

Astrid, your folio is lovely in your muted autumn inspired colors. Each of your panels are so stunning and rich. I especially admire the fact you were able to incorporate all of those newer embossing folders into your design--how perfectly they work together! INSPIRING! Your leaves are so life-like and add just the right amount of boldness. know your daughter loved this; I sure would! Sending hugs!

Margaret Mifsud said...

I do hope you are having a wonderful holiday with your family in Aus Astrid. Having a wonderful time and making lots of precious memories with you grandchildren. Hope the weather has been nice over there for you. We had a few bad weeks here in South Aus but, right now, it is beautiful and sunny. Perfect Spring weather in fact. Your folio is stunning! I love the embossed panels (the folders are all on my wish list) and the gorgeous autumn colours! I'm sure your daughter will treasure it. big hugs to you my friend!! xx

Paper Wishes said...

Such amazing work in all the layers of this folio. The soft dusty effect of the oxides on the front is beautiful. Your treatment of all the embossed surfaces is so effective the patina you create is always so convincing. Love this. x

Águeda said...

Impresionante labor!!!
Gracias por el paso a paso, se coge muchísima idea.
Los colores son preciosos.
La combinación del montaje es realmente bella.
Muy buen gusto, elegante y vintage
Felicidades por ello.
Besos y feliz fin de semana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key