Thursday 13 September 2018

Artist Trading Coins, a booklet and a freebie

Hello friends and welcome, specially also to my new followers!
Today I want to share my latest addiction, - Artist Trading Coins. I only very recently found out about these, when my lovely friend Jennie did a post on them on the Paper Artsy Blog, where these AT Coins are the theme of their latest challenge. It was love at first site and I just knew I had to give them a go. Years ago I used to swap ATCs, so this was just like going back in time but with a fun twist....
So far I have made 9 coins, plus a little booklet to store them in, so here goes:
Here first of all is the booklet. I made it following a video tutorial for which there was a link on the PA blog, you can find it HERE. 
I slightly adapted the size as the lady who made the video suggests, and I learnt several things along the way, but more about that in a moment. The cover of mine is made from Kraftcard and I used 45andMarket papers for the inside structure and pockets.

I used the Tim Holtz flower jar stamps and dies plus one of the bugs from the Entomology set to decorate the front of the cover and a couple of Paper Artsy stamps plus another bug for the back:

Here you can see how the pockets fit inside, the video shows a very clever construction, which was new to me.
The spine is one inch wide and I decorated it with a die-cut from one of Tim's new Dresden Trim 3D dies. The seam binding ribbon was dyed with Infusions Sunset Beach and a tiny bit of Antique Linen Distress spray.

Alright, onto the coins:
These 4 were made on collaged backgrounds and I used paper dolls to decorate them.
The next 4 were made with the help of a collage sheet I specially made for the purpose, I will share it with you as a freebie at the end of this post.


The final one I made I will show you inside one of the pockets of the booklet, so you can see what the inside looks like:
The booklet has 9 of these pockets, and this is what I learnt: The 45andmarket papers I used are very thick, they are more like card than paper. I absolutely adore them, but they were a bit too thick for this project. I also made the mistake of adhering the pockets on the wrong side of the internal structure, I should have stuck them on top, not underneath the gusset, as you can see on the photo above. (if you watch the video you will no doubt understand  what I mean).
The back of each coin is finished with these backings. My lovely friend Annie shared with me where you can get these, you can find them HERE.

If you are into making these Artist Trading Coins, or would like to give it a go, and are up for a swap, do let me know in the comments or be in touch by email. They are 2.5" in the round, so will fit the normal ATC pockets and things. You can find out much more by going to the Paper Artsy blog where there are some stunning examples!

Here finally is the collage sheet that I used as a starting point for 5 of my coins. The circles print at 2.5" on A4 paper (and I am pretty sure that for my American friends, they will print to that size on your letter paper too).

 
Well that's it, hope you are all having a good week, I am going to link to the Paper Artsy challenge and like always, thanks for taking the time to visit!
xxxxx




22 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your beautiful makes and the gorgeous booklet you made to store them. Hugs, Valerie

Julia said...

The booklet to store your art coins in is fabulous as are the coins. What a fabulous project, I really enjoyed reading this post.

Rita said...

Stunning little booklet Astrid. Will have mine finished in time for our meet up. Such fun to make. Hugs Rita xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

I just knew that in your hands they would be stunning !!!! Astrid you always work your magic and this little book and all those fabulous coins are wonderful. I am so glad you found them fun. I had not thought of a little book to keep them in - I'll be checking out the details of this one. Glad you had so much fun! xxxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This booklet is a treasure hold! LOVE the cover, so vintage and yet elegant, and love the coins inside...all gorgeous!

froebelsternchen said...

I adore your art coins and the fantastic booklet to store them! An AMAZING project dear Astrid! Hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

Wow Astrid, these are gorgeous art coins and the book you made to store them in looks amazing.
I remember well swapping ATC's, it was great fun back then waiting for the postman to call.
Yvonne xx

Redanne said...

I watched that very same video today after seeing Jennie's PA post, I was intrigued by the coins... Yours are absolutely beautiful and I love the little album you made for them! Hugs, Anne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Oh wow. I haven't tried making any Trading Coins yet but they seem to be quite popular. You not only made some beautiful coins but that book for them is even more beautiful. What a great way to store them. I'd do a swap with you if you want to mail to the US. Hope all is well. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

What an amazing journal! I love those flowers on the cover. I can't understand how you can get so much detail on such a small space. I love each coin and how you collaged the background. These images and paper dolls are the perfect focal point. I love each one of these!
Kate

Margaret Mifsud said...

These are so gorgeous Astrid! Have never heard of ATCoins before but what a lovely idea! The booklet is stunning and I can't wait to go over and take a look at the video! Your coins are so beautifully done and thank you so much for the freebie!! hugs xx

Annie said...

Such a fabulous post Astrid xx I can't wait to have a play and as you can see from mum's comment she was well ahead with her ATC book when I emailed her :-)
Love the kraft card and the amazing details/embellishments x Your ATC's are stunning x Wonderful details xx Thank You for the freebie too and I shall certainly swap an ATCoin with you xxxx

Huge hugs and Have a lovely weekend
Annie xx

nannyfns@gmail.com said...

I've never seen these coins before. Just fabulous! Just as your blog always is. Thanks so much for all of your inspiration.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous Astrid. I really like the coins though not actually made any yet. The little book is a perfect place to store them. Wishing you a lovely crafty weekend, Angela xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This really is a marvellous little book Astrid, you have a special way of adding a touch of elegance to your Vintage pieces. It comes so naturally to you. The coins are great fun to play around with it's simply amazing how those 2.5" circles have taken the creative world by storm.
Look forward to seeing many many more of your created beauties.
Thank you for the sweet freebies, link to the back print and for sharing.
Big hugs for a super weekend Tracey xx

geezercrafter said...

Gorgeous coins Astrid. Love the booklet, fab idea for storage.

Let's Art Journal said...

Your little booklet and ATCoins are beautiful! Thanks for sharing how you made them and your learnings too 😁. Wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Carole Pollard said...

Wonderful creation the attention to detail is amazing a very special project Love and hugs Carole x

Jackie PNeal said...

Hello Astrid!
I too have the fever of the Artist trading coins! Although, I have been decorating both sides of mine! guess I might have to keep the ones I have already done!
Anyway, yours are brilliant as is the darling book you made to keep them in!I just love each one and how nicely they tuck into the book pages! Well done you!
Thanks for sharing your artwork and freebie!
Jackie xo

Words and Pictures said...

Well, first of all the little booklet to store the ATCoins is charming - and you learn as you go and we benefit, so thank you for sharing your discoveries about card thickness and construction! The ATCoins themselves are delightful - lovely backing papers and delicious word additions. I'd definitely be up for some trading at some point, but not right now... and I should think the same is true for you... Maybe when you get back?!
Alison xx

Dorthe said...

Thank you dear Astrid for the beautiful coin images, you so generous share with us,and the backing too- and then I`m totally in love with your book, and all the coins - beautiful makes, all.
Hugs, Dorthe

pearshapedcrafting said...

I think I am going to have to try making some Art coins! Several folk have asked was I going to make some but until now my answer has always been that I don't know how I would put art in a circle! Having seen this and followed the link on how to make the booklet it seems all I need now is time!!! Hugs, Chrisx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key