Friday 6 April 2018

Rusty and Crusty for A Vintage Journey

Hello friends and welcome! Have you seen the fun theme the wonderful Autumn has chosen for our April challenge at A Vintage Journey? She called it Rusty and Crusty and of course there are so many different possibilities with this theme, do check out what my talented teamies have made!
I decided to keep it clean(ish) and simple(ish) at least for me, - and this is what I made:
 As many of you know I am in Australia at the moment, so created this before I left. Unfortunately the weather was so bad that I was unable to take step out photos, so I will try and talk you through my process:
The focal stamp is from the Darkroom Door London 2 set, I stamped it using a dark brown Faber Castell Big Brushpen. I then punched out a circle using a 2" circle punch to create a mask for the moon and then created my background blending Stormy Sky and Vintage Photo Distress inks. I added a few Walnut Crystals, spritzt with water and in that way created my rusty looking background. Using a waterbrush created the moonlight falling onto the building. I then scribbled some of the brown big brush pen onto my craftmat and using the waterbrush to pick up some of the ink created some shadows around the building. I also added a few doodles with a black fineliner. When I was happy with the image I used a Spellbinders cirle die to cut it out and put it aside while I worked on my background panel.

 For this I did some subtle stencilling with the Stormy Sky ink, did some background stamping and used various old Tim Holtz rub-ons and washi tape until I was happy with the composition.

 I adhered the die cut circle to the background and then used a couple of rusted embellishments to finish it all off. The cog was rusted with good old rusting powder and some vinigar and for the pen nib I used a mix of embossing powders to give it a rusty look.
 I matted and layered on to further bits of card and then one of Tim's word stickers finished it  all off.
Well that's it from me for today. Thank you for dropping by and do check out OUR CHALLENGE to get all the details or even better, play along and show us your own rusty and crusty projects! I can't wait to see what you will make!
xxxxx

24 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

This is great Astrid. It really feels rusty and crusty. Hope you are enjoying the earlyfall downunder. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

Wow! This is so cool,Astrid. You have created the perfect mix of vintage and clean. All that white space and then this perfect circle full of rusty goodness. I LOVE this.
Kate

Redanne said...

I think Kate's comment above sums up what I feel about this wonderful project Astrid. I just love how the moon is casting it's light over the building, it is really atmospheric and I just love your rusty pen nib and cog! I hope you are having a wonderful time! Hugs, Anne xx

Brenda Brown said...

A very striking piece of art Astrid - the details are perfect and the rusty focus of the circle is ingenius. Love it xxx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning card! I love the focal image that you created - amazing 😀. I enjoyed finding out how you made the fabulous detail in the background and the beautiful rusty elements too - perfect! I hope you are having a lovely time on your travels and wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! This IS stunning! No other word would fit!! Hugs, Chrisx

A Pink said...

A really Stunning card! Astrid. The moonlight falling on the building along with the way you have confined the scene to the space within the circle really draws the eye and evokes deep feeling which the rusty tones seems to enhance even more.
The surrounding stamping gives the finished layout a really well balanced design.
Arty, Vintage and classy.
Hope you are having a wonderful holiday .
take care
hugs x

ann barnes said...

I am so entranced by the beauty of this card! I love the contrast of the white to the rusty cog and nib. The way that you have captured the moonlight and have it filtering through the building is stunning!

Margaret Mifsud said...

This is awesome!! Clean(ish) and Simple(ish) and so cool .. I love it!!! absolutely brilliant!! Love the scene you created in the main circle Astrid .. the moonlight on the building looks fantastic .. and I love the whole composition! Absolutely stunning card!!
Hope you are enjoying your holiday. Pity we couldn't catch up but, maybe next time. Have a fabulous time with your family!! hugs xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Another masterpiece Astrid, at first i thought the stamped image was framed with the circle aperture until I saw up close it is the other way round, what a great trick of the eye. I'm loving those flecks of walnut crystals around the image it's looks so much like foxing, I love it.
Wishing you happy family times & creative things Tracey xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Astrid this is so eye catching . I love the spot of of vintage against the clean backdrop, works so beautifully. Love . Tracy ❤️❤️

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous card, with super rusty details. I enjoyed reading your post on how it was created. have a happy time with your family.
Yvonne xx

Julia Aston said...

I just love the little rusty scene you created Astrid - the crystals on the inking around the building - the masked moon and moon light and the wonderful background! I'm sure you are having a lovely time with your family! Julia xx

Craftyfield said...

Fantastic card! It strikes an interesting balance between CAS and grungy/Vintage, love it!

Words and Pictures said...

This is so beautiful, Astrid - the composition and use of white space is simply magical, creating atmosphere and mystery in the circular frame, with the gear and postmark stamping and that gleaming moon all echoing the shape - beautiful.
Alison x

Dorthe said...

Dear Astrid, it is a stunning creation -so love your moon landscape, the rusty look, the soft light from the moon, and using the Walnut Crystals, gives beautiful textured feeling -
Beautiful, and dreamy , so gorgeous -
Hugs, Dorthe

Deb said...

My gosh Astrid, that is so gorgeous! Love the use of the walnut crystals and the water brushed moonbeams are absolutely magic! Thanks so much for sharing it and hope you are having a wonderful time Down Under! Deb xo

bockel24 said...

what a lovely combination of colours, shapes and textures, Astrid!

Annie said...

wonderful details on your fabulous rusty card Astrid...the stamp looks amazing with therusty details around it and I so love the moon details

Sending my best wishes
Annie xx

Nikki Acton said...

Such a clever idea and so wonderfully put together! Your scene is full of atmosphere and depth and is so striking on your 'relatively clean' backdrop! Great job Astrid xx

sarascloset said...

Astrid, this is the classiest example of rust I've ever seen! That beautiful scene you have created is very striking against the CAS background, and the pen nib and cog look perfectly rusty! I hope you are enjoying your trip! Hugs!

SewPaperPaint said...

What a cool collage Astrid! I love how the walnut crystals look on your mottled background and what a fabulous stamp! This idea really gives our visitors ideas for the many ways they can use rust on a project, so thank you! Big hugs, Autumn

Carol said...

Beautiful card - live the stamp you have chosen and all the rusted elements are awesome xx

Corry said...

Its a beautiful card, Astrid , and I love your work.
I Will follow your blog , would you also want to follow me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key