I am very excited and honoured to share a project with you that I was asked to create for a guest design spot over at the Frilly and Funky blog, where the challenge right now is Words, Words Words.
I decided to make an accordion card using the Tim Holtz Vintage Cabinet card. I started by cutting three of the bigger ones from grey board to form the back drop for my card. I then cut three further ones out of Tim Holtz Kraft resist paper, but then decided to make the central one into a frame with a bit of the Tim Holtz Trellis Frameworks die cut pieces in between the background and the top layer.
I cut another cabinet card from manila card, created a background using the Spritz and Flick technique in Antique Linen, Weathered Wood and Frayed Burlap Distress Inks. I then altered the trellis with the help of Wow Verdigris embossing powder and Walnut Stain Distress Embossing Powder and glued it between my background piece and the frame of Kraft resist that had been inked with Weathered Wood and Frayed Burlap Distress Stains first.
Next I stamped one of the birds from the Artistic Outpost Birds of a Feather set onto smooth stamping paper, fussy cut it and then coloured it with Distress Markers and Watercolour pencils.
The other two background panels were coloured in the same way with Distress Stains. I then cut two further small cards from manila card stock and inked them with spritz and flick and some stenciling using the same colours of ink as on the central panel.
For the panel on the left, I stamped the nest from the same set in Coffee Archival, masked it, then used some background stamps and coloured as described. I also wanted to add some spritzing with the new Tim Holtz tool, but instead of making the thin splatters it was meant to do, it made some big blobs. I nearly scrapped it but then decided to embrace imperfection and just live with it.
For the panel on the right I chose the lovely vintage girls from the same Birds of a Feather set, also stamped directly onto the panel, masked and then created my background using the same colours and techniques.
The last step was to adhere the three panels together with strips of card and to embellish with some die cuts, flowers and a butterfly to cover up the worst of the blobs.
The hardest part really was to choose the one word for my creation. In the end I decided on the word soar, one of my "words of power" for 2014. It was simply cut from one of the little Tim Holtz adage tickets.
Well there you have it. The whole piece became rather darker than I had intended, but sometimes we just have to live with what comes out of our hands I guess and perhaps soar above it.
Thanks you so much for visiting and please do check out what the amazing Frilly and Funky design team have created over on their blog