Tuesday 21 October 2014

Sparkle and Shine for Countryview Challenges

Hello everyone, hope you are having a good week!
Today it is my turn to share a second project on the Countryview Challenge blog, - another Christmas card I'm afraid to say
I used The Vintage Cabinet card die, the Stacked Snowflakes die, and the Holiday Greens Sizzlits die, all by Tim Holtz. Now before I go on I want to tell you about a fabulous new product I just discovered, amazingly useful if you love to use die cuts, specially delicate ones. The stuff is called Stick It and was invented by Ken Oliver. Ken, who has been a Facebook friend for some time, sent me some to try out, and I have to say, I LOVE IT!!. Here is a link to a video where Ken demonstrates how it works:
 For my project I started by cutting 4 of the cabinet cards with the small die inside to create a frame. I cut them from cereal packets, so the frame would be sturdy and have some depth. I glued them together, gave them a coat of gesso and then added Picket Fence Distress crackle paint. When everything had dried I coloured it and  a backing piece with the new Distress Stains. I used Brushed Pewter and Faded Jeans, plus a tiny bit of Picket Fence.
I inked all he edges with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and then gave the centre of the backing a spritz of Black Soot, so there would be a good contrast for the Snowflake I was planning to add.


Sparkle and Shine was added by covering everything in Mat medium and then sprinkling with Clear Rockcandy Distress Glitter.
I stacked the snowflakes up, edged with Walnut Stain again and then also gave them the glitter treatment.

I adhered the frame to a card blank, inked with a mix of Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain DI and then stamped one of the stamps from the Christmas Nostalgia set around the edges, also in Walnut Stain.

I embellished with some branches from the Holiday Greens, coloured with Iced Spruce and more glitter.
I also added a few tiny berries to the branches, they came from my Christmas box....
Well, that's another Christmas card done, so I am happy about that. There is still a week left to play in the challenge if you have not done so yet, do go over and check it out, we would love to see you there!

32 comments:

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Astrid. Wow!!! This looks stunning! What gorgeous dies and the crackle and glitter combo looks brilliant.
Dot x

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic card! Have a great day, Valerie

Rita said...

Oh my Goodness. What an amazing card Astrid. I want to touch it, it really looks so tactile. The colours are stunning and very vintage looking too. Hugs Rita xxx

chrissie said...

A very beautiful card with the 'Astrid' touch that makes it special

Love Chrissie x

Unknown said...

Fabulous Christmas card, Astrid! Stick It is ingenious! Thank you for the introduction! Xx

froebelsternchen said...

This is AMAZING Astrid !
Happy Birthday to you!
xxx
Susi

Redanne said...

Your card is stunning Astrid, I love that stacked snowflake, it is so beautiful against the darker background. Hugs, Anne xx

Ros Crawford said...

Gosh what a work of art ... Beautiful card and lovely details

Dianne said...

Wow Miss Astrid, the vintage Cabinet is beautiful on it own, love the colors and crackle, the snowflake is gorgeous wow a real stunning card, scary its time to start the madness :O), hope you have a wonderful week, thanks for always inspiring us all ((( BIG HUGS )))..

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Beautiful - love the color palette and that snowflake is drop dead gorgeous!

Hugs,
Linda

Maryanne said...

Beautiful, Astrid! I love the texture and those new dies are great!

Anneke said...

Happy Birthday Astrid. I love this christmas card. Love the the blue and brown. I would be happy if this would fall on my door mat at Christmas because it's so pretty. Have a wonderful day Anneke

Pamellia said...

Wow Astrid, this is just breathtaking! I so love all the blues, perfect for a snowflake theme! Your textures and sparkle on everything is frosty and festive! What an amazing project! :)

Holly M said...

This is so lovely.

Marisa Job said...

Just beautiful! Love the color palette and texture!!!

brenda said...

Stunning creation Astrid, loving all the inking and texture.

B x

Evelyn Walter said...

Stunning card, Astrid! Love the texture and your choice of colors.
Have a nice week!
Evelyn

Barbara Rankin said...

Gorgeous card, Astrid! I just love reading about how you do what you do, and how you achieve so much texture and details on your die cuts! TFS

Nicole Wright Designs said...

What a pretty card! I love this Stick It. And I love your stacked snowflakes! Beautifully created. Always a treat coming here.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

TOTALLY GORGEOUS Astrid! LOVE the layered snowflake and the sparkle against the blue tones!

Dorthe said...

It is simply stunning Astrid! The background is perfect for the blue cabinet ,and the layered snowflake is wonderful, maybe I should have a closer look at that ! What a most beautiful card !!
Hugs,Dorthe

Netty said...

Loving your fabulous card. Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Corrie Herriman said...

Beautiful card Astrid. Whoever will receive it will be very happy !
Corrie x

Meggymay said...

A beautiful Christmas card Astrid. I must start making some soon.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Sensational - the colours and the way you captured old time Christmas with that stunning snowflake as the focal - wow.
Wishes
Lynne

Jackie PN said...

Those snowflakes are wonderful- (even though I dislike snow)and the crackle and colors you used-perfect,Astrid!!

Julia Aston said...

Your stained and crackled framing is gorgeous on this Astrid!

Terry said...

Sparkle and Shine never looked so good. Love the crackle on the frame with the wintery blue colors and that focal snowflake is gorgeous. Love this much!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous card Astrid, love the colour and the texture, beautiful.
Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card Astrid! Love the texture and that wonderful snowflake. I've ordered my own set of sprays after seeing your magic with them. thanks for sharing your knowledge and amazing work. I'd better get started on some Christmas cards myself....running behind. Karen.x

Mary Elizabeth said...

Beautiful card Astrid. I love the texture you created with the Gesso. The dark stains really make those gorgeous layered snowflakes pop. This is the perfect way to frame those snowflakes too. I'm in LOVE with this card! -- Mary Elizabeth

Jools Robertson said...

Gorgeous, love the colours used on the background which
contrast beautifully with the snowflakes and the winter greens look lovely

Jools x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key