Monday 20 October 2014

Destination Inspiration for A Vintage journey, - sprays and pastes.

Hello all and lovely to have you drop in. Today it is my turn again to share a project over at A Vintage Journey under the heading of Destination Inspiration. As I was thinking about what to write for what I have done, I came to the conclusion that Destination Inspiration is perhaps not quite the right title for my project,  Destination Exploration would be a better name for it on this occasion, for when I started I had no idea where I would land up, as really I was just experimenting.... But I hope that what I am about to share, may give you some inspiration along the way too to explore and discover....

So I decided to play with the new Tim Holtz Distress Sprays and try them out on as many different substrates and texture pastes as I could. I created a series of 9  different tags, I will number them, and here on my own blog I will share step by steps for some of them in greater detail than I did over at the Vintage Journey blog, where I am showing all 9 in one go.


So here goes:
Tag 1
Sprays on a plain manila tag:
Colours used: Antique Linen, Vintage Photo, Walnut stain. I wetted the tag and then sprayed my three chosen colours, spritz some more water and then dried with a heat gun.
Next I used the Shattered Layering Stencil and sprayed with the Walnut Stain spray, adhering the stencil onto the tag with some removable spray adhesive so it would stay in place.
Next I did some background stamping, using the Classics 14 and Mercantile stamp .sets in Black Archival
Finally I collaged other stamped elements and finished it all off with some embellishments, including the little alpha tiles that I was lucky enough  to receive the other day as part of the huge parcel I got from my win at the Compendium of Curiosities challenge.


Alright, on to:
Tag 2
Sprays on a Black tag:
I die cut a tag from thick black card and gave it a first spraying with two of the metallic sprays, Tarnished Brass and Antique Bronze. To be honest, I was not too excited with the result, so gave it a second spraying, this time using Picket Fence and Peacock Feathers.
Much better I reckon, love the verdigris effect of this, definitely one to remember I think.

Now before I go on, I just want to mention that I think it is a good idea to put some large sheets of scrap paper underneath your work area when using the sprays as I found they tend to go everywhere, this also gives you some great backgrounds, as inevitably they will soak up some of all that lovely spray. Here is a piece of mine that I decided to use on this tag:
I decided to  die cut a leaf with the new leaf and matching embossing folder:
This became the main embellishment for the finished tag, here it is:
I used some remnant rubs (they adhere perfectly on the sprays, unlike on top of Distress Inks)! and finished off with some other bits and pieces.
Well, that's it for just now. Tomorrow I have a different project going live, but in the days to come I will post some more details of some of the other tags I made. If you want a quick over view, please head over to A Vintage Journey, and if you have come from there, then thank you for dropping by here.
Have a great week ahead and look after yourselves. xxx

37 comments:

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Beautiful tags and sprays. I love how the layered leaf turned out. I seem to be making that one the center piece for everything these days.

Rita said...

Fabulous tag Astrid. You always create such wonderful things and this looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us all. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Sandie said...

Very lovely tag demos, Astrid! Thank you so much for sharing your experimentation with the Distress sprays on different papers. It's so helpful to have someone else to share their ideas and inspirations.
Sweet Autumn blessings....~Sandie

froebelsternchen said...

they are terrific Astrid- thank you for sharing all the experimentation with us ♥♥♥
xoxoxo
Haooy new wek
Susi

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work Astrid, love the autumnal colours. Experimenting and exploring are always such fun! Valerie

Jane said...

Thanks for sharing this Astrid, I love your experiments. The results are stunning.I'm glad it's not just me who has trouble getting remnant rubs to adhere to Distress Inks. I would love some of these new sprays but I think I will need to write to Father Christmas..LOL xx

brenda said...

Loved reading your post Astrid and must thank you for sharing the various finishes you created. I think I might need to try some of these sprays, especially that lovely coppery one.

Also, what make is that leave die as seems like another necessary purchase ?

B x

Deborah Wainwright said...

Love these tags Astrid they are so rich and full of depth and texture. Thank you for sharing as I learn so much xx

chrissie said...

Wonderful tags and great ideas with the sprays.

Love Chrissie x

Maryann Laursen said...

WOUW what a start on a monday morning, to see such amazing work here from you again Astrid. These tags are gorgeous and especially the last one jumped rright into my heart, and wouldn´t leave there again ha ha ha. It is soo beautiful and outstanding work and just cream for the eyes. I absolutely love it. Wonderful work as usual hun, and can´t wait to see, what more, you´ll have to share in the comming days here of these.

Redanne said...

Fabulous tutorials on both blogs Astrid! Thanks so much for sharing your experimentation! Anne xx

Pamellia said...

Wow Astrid, these turned out amazing! I love the one with the stencil! The leaf is my favourite bit! What a fantastic contrast against the blue background! :)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Stunning results Astrid...great from start to finish!
Have a great day, Alie :-)

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Astrid, all the tags are gorgeous, love the leaf as well. Distress Sprays now? I have not heard of them until reading your post, I think I 'need' them :) Take care, Shirleyxx

Dorthe said...

They are fabolous, dearAstrid, so stunning both ,-the colours are fantastic- and your leafe ,WOW !!
I`m totally in awe over your creations!!
Thank you for telling so much !
Hugs,Dorthe

Maryanne said...

Great tags, Astrid! I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them. I love the effect you're getting with the sprays.

mamablitger said...

Astrid I just LOVE your tag. Amazing !!!!!
Thank you for all the examples you shared using the sprays on different materials/backgrounds. Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing your always fab work. I always gets a lot of inspiration from your blog. You are so creative and very talented.
Hugs from Monica.... Spain

Meggymay said...

Fabulous tags, those sprays look good. Another item to look out for. Love the shades you used and how you added the details.
Yvonne

Corrie Herriman said...

Love, love all of them. It is also great to see how you created the tags...
Corrie x

Sandy said...

Tag #1 - beautifully creative! Is that the eye of the dragon? Beautiful!
Sandy xx

Sandy said...

Tag#- another beautifully created and made tag. Those sprays look amazing as well as your gorgeous leaf.
Sandy xx

Sandy said...

Tag#- another beautifully created and made tag. Those sprays look amazing as well as your gorgeous leaf.
Sandy xx

Sandy said...

Oh dear - it looks like I am goofing all over the place. I did not mean to leave the same comment twice. And comment 2 was supposed to read comment #2!
Sandy xx

Karin said...

Gorgeous tags, both of them!
and I love that leaf! Groetjes Karin

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow Astrid, I'm missing words. Both of your tags are fantastic.

Netty said...

Two smashing tags Astrid, you show its great fun to experiment. Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Marisa Job said...

I Love both tags!!! I Can't wait to play with the new distress ink spray bottles. Hugs!!

Unknown said...

All backgrounds you created are so beautiful. I love seeing how your masterpieces came to life :) x x

Jackie PN said...

both tags are so gorgeous- but I love that blue on the second!! love the way that you used the leaf from the over-sprayed piece! and congrats on your win! well deserved my friend! xo

Terry said...

Both tags are wonderful, but I really do love the effect on a black tag. Wonderful use of the sprays and leftover catch-all paper. Love this!

Deb said...

Absolutely beautiful, love the verdigris effect you achieved on the black tag! Thanks so much for sharing your process, can't wait to see the others!

Deb said...

Absolutely beautiful, love the verdigris effect you achieved on the black tag! Thanks so much for sharing your process, can't wait to see the others!

CreativSpirit said...

Oooooo Astrid, every one of these is gorgeous, love, love, love. Thank you for the creative inspiration always.

Anneke said...

Beautiful work. I must think about getting some myself. Thanks for inspiring me Anneke.

Dianne said...

Excellent tutorial, and 2 GORGEOUSSSS tags, your artistry is spellbinding, wow I love everything you create, thanks for sharing..

Barbara Rankin said...

You sure know how to get the products to work for you, Astrid! Your explorations always turn into inspiration for me!!!

Marjie Kemper said...

Gorgeous tags, Astrid. Love that eye coming out of the cracked web!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key