Thursday 22 February 2018

Playing with my new Oxide inks

Hello friends, hope your day is going well. Like many of us I am sure, I succumbed and ordered some of the new Tim Holtz Distress Oxide inks recently released at Creativation, and this was my first chance to have a play with them.
I made two projects, playing with some of the different colours and using glossy photocard that I had lying around.


As you can see this is a little book I will keep by my bedsite to note down some of my dreams. I am facinated by dreams and decided I would record them for a while. Anyway, onto the project.
I played around with various colours, old and new. For this background I used Broken China, Antique Linen, Gathered Twigs and a tiny bit of Aged Mahogany. I also used tiny bits of gold acrylic paints.
I embossed it with a very old Tim Holtz embossing folder and then went over the raised bits with normal Distress ink in Ground  Espresso.
I then spritzt with some water and finally rubbed over it all with Distress Micro Glaze, trying to follow a technique Tim demonstrated during a video from Creativation that I watched. Going over it with the glaze is meant to bring back some of the oxidised colour. Tim used Alcohol Ink card, which I don't have, so that's why I used the glossy photocard, but to be honest, it did not work very well.
Anyhow, I decided to use the card for the cover of this little book.
It has two signatures and following a tutorial I found on youtube I adhered them together using some ribbon before adhering the endpages to the cover.
I then covered the insides of the cover with some bits of design paper and some washi for extra strength, as the paper of the signatures that I used is quite thick, almost like thin card.
I decorated the spine with two hinges from an ancient stash of grunge card stock I still had lying around from years back. I embossed them with Ancient Silver EP to give them a metal look.
The front was decorated with a Gypsysoul lazer cut chipboard piece, also partly embossed with the ancient silver ep.

I also made a quick card still, with slightly different colours.
The chappy in this paperdoll image looks rather dapper and full of himself, but I think his lady, with her subtle smile is quite the match for him...
A word band, the letters highlighted with Distress Crayon.
The embossing here was also done with the help of a Distress Crayon.

Well, that's it for now. Hope you get some crafting playtime, and thanks for your visit like always!
xxxxx

21 comments:

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! Your little Dream book is gorgeous Astrid! I love the colours and the embossing looks fabulous! I think making a record of your dreams is a wonderful idea and this little book is the perfect place to do it. The card is stunning as well. Awesome colour and background and I agree that your dapper gentleman has met his match .. LOL!! Absolutely stunning creations!! Have a fabulous day! hugs xx

sonia smith said...

You make the world much more wonderful. Thanks for this.

froebelsternchen said...

A fantastic booklet Astrid - amazing and a fabulous idea to keep a dream book!
And the card is fantastic as well - the background is unique and the couple fit's it so well!
oxo Susi

brenda said...

OH yes, I succumbed as well Astrid, Oxides really did take us by storm and you have showcases the new ones beautifully here achieved a really aged and rusted feel to your piece.

B x

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful little book, love all the textures. Have fun playing with your new ink. Hugs, Valerie

Annie said...

Your book of Dreams is quite stunning Astrid x Love the colours and embossing, completed by that beautiful laser cut and butterflies.

Huge hugs
Annie x

chrissie said...

The book is amazing with the wonderful metallic look.

What a great card with such a lot of different ideas to make us think. Love the couple as well

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your dream book cover is stunning! I love the colours you used and the distress oxides with the gold acrylic paint looks amazing and then there's those silver embossed embellishments and pretty flowers - beautiful 😁. Such a lovely card too, it looks like you had lots of fun playing with those new colours. Oh no, not something else for my wish list ...lol 😉. Hope the weather is nice where you are, we've had sunny days so far this week and it's slightly warmer too 😀. Enjoy the rest of your week! J 😊

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love your Dream book-it is clearly for sweet dreams! I have such strange dreams that I think my cover would differ from yours greatly!!I love your vintage card! Hugs,Chrisx

Dorthe said...

A beautiful dreambook, already taking my thoughts on flight seeing your gorgeous cover, dear Astrid. Love the "metal" pieces, you added and the embossed effect there.
Oh and the card really steals my heart , love that couple and their amazing background.
Hugs from Dorthe

Redanne said...

Such a wonderful book to record your dreams Astrid! I love that embossing folder and it looks beautiful with the oxide colours you added. The laser cut looks gorgeous atop the book too... Hugs, Anne xx

Meggymay said...

It is a beautiful dream book to have by your bedside. The new oxide inks are lovely, I'm sure you are not alone in them creeping into your stash.
The card is also fantastic, and the found relatives are so useful for us all.
Yvonne xx

Helen Wallace said...

A charming little book to capture your dreams. I used to write mine down some years ago and talked with a Jungian expert about them. I learnt a lot from the process. Love the card, I'm making something very similar at the moment using the Paper Dolls.....gorgeous.

Kate Yetter said...

Gorgeous little book! I love the rusty look with those pretty spring colors. And that card is really beautiful! I love the background!!
Kate

Jackie PN said...

What a cool make to have the dream book by your bedside! Are you good about writing down as soon as you wake? I would be afraid to write down some of the weird dreams I have! lol

I just love my Oxides and have the new colors as well,just haven't played yet! The colors on that card are glorious Astrid!
Happy weekend
Jackie xx

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh my goodness Astrid! These are absolutely incredible! I love the embossed cover and your gorgeous colorways on the card. Such amazing inspiration, I very much needed! :) Hugs, Autumn

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a pretty book , I just love it, and than you made that amazing card, I really love your background and the colours!! Just wonderful!! Have a nice weekend!!


Greetings
Maria

Pamellia said...

Wonderful projects Astrid. I just knew you and those oxides would be a good fit! Your book cover is magnificent and the card background is amazing! Have a great week :)

My name is Erika. said...

Somehow with my busy end of the week I missed this gorgeous album. I love the cover and it's cool blue metal look. The card is beautiful too. Hope you're enjoying the last hours of the weekend. Hugs-Erika

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful book you created to record your dreams - my dreams are just out of reach in my mind when I wake up! Your cover is beautiful with the colors and embossing folder (I have that one too!) and the hinges are perfect - love you card as well - great use of your new inks! Julia xx

Maryann Laursen said...

This album is just absolutely stunning Astrid. I love how this cover looks and these colors are just sooo me too. I´m totally sold on this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key