Thursday 18 January 2018

A new love affair with Gelatos in my bulletjournal

As many of you who visit regularly will know, - I have been using a bullet journal for my planning and creative explorations. Today I am sharing a few more pages rather different in style. These were inspired by the work of Valerie Sjodin. She is mostly a bible journaler but also keeps a Bullet Journal in a Leuchtturm 2017 (like mine), which she calls her everyday journal.
She uses Gelatos and colured pencils to decorate them, and when I saw some of her pages I fell in love!
I had been wanting to do some pages with quotes and handlettering and seeing her beautiful work was just the inspiration I needed.

Now I have a big box of Gelatos given to me by my dear hubby for my birthday many years ago when they first came out, but they have been sadly neglected for a long, long time, so it was great to dig them out and give them a try in my Bujo. The great thing is that here they are used totally dry just added with a stencilling brush. This is a great advantage as the Leuchtturm as most other Bullet Journals have thin paper only, and they don't stand up to wet media very well.
The central circle was done on deli paper with two colours of gelatos and then stencilled with a baby wipe. This is a well known technique, that just lifts the colour.I cut out with the circle with a die and then adhered it to the page with a glue stick. I drew the banner on a piece of paper, copied and adapted from a page on Valerie's blog, coloured with Prisma Premier pencils, fussy cut it and adhered it to the circle. I then blended the rest of the page with the gelatos and stencil brush.
This lettered quote I found on Pinterest, I copied (and adapted it slightly) straight on the page, with pencil first and then went over it with a fineliner. Again, the rest of the page was all done by dry blending the Gelatos with a brush. The effect is of course not all that different from Distress Inks, but the Gelatos are more tranlucent I found and have a lovely creamy texture that blends really well with the Prisma pencils.

Below, a couple more pages, all done with very simlar techniques.
The left side is copied and adapted from one of Valerie's Colouring Books. I don't actually own the book, but it has the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon, so I looked through the pages and then kind of copied one of them, as I loved both the quote and the design.
The bricks round about were stencilled with Gelatos and one of Tim's Layering Stencils.
The scroll here was again copied from the colouring book but then I designed the rest round about it myself. (Sorry, I digitally obliterated the text as that was rather personal).

This final page is pretty much my own design, I just looked at another lettered quote online.
The lettering was all done with coloured pencils, which was kind of fun to do.

Well that's it for today, thank you for your visit and I hope you have fun with your own art adventures!
xxxxx

17 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Your lettering is gorgeous Astrid. I think you were very inspired. Hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

Your hand lettering is so professional! I love the blending of your colors. Looks so good it could be a print. Beautiful journal pages.
Kate

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous journal pages in our bullet journal. Love the lettering / quotes. I love Gelatos, too, and use mine a lot. Have a nice day, hugs, Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

You have worked your magic again Astrid and created beautiful pages. I don't really get on with gelatos, maybe it is the way that I have worked with them, so I opt for soluble wax pastels as they do the just the job for me. I may have to dig my gelatos out again and give them another go. Thank you for sharing..
Warmest of hugs Tracey x

froebelsternchen said...

Your lettering and the compposition of each single spread is terrific!A fab idea for the gelatos - have to remember this. You are such an inspiration - I am looking forward to seeing many more of those fantastic spreads! Have fun!
oxo Susi

Meggymay said...

Great lettering, your pages look fantastic and you have me wondering where I last saw my gelatos. Its a good idea to have a quote book.
Yvonne xx

Annie said...

You have created wonderful and inspiring pages Astrid and its so kind of you to share those details with your lovely followers xx
I love the quotes and we often forget that we are all miracles xx

Busy crafting today and enjoying it !!!!!

Sending huge hugs
Annie xx

Dorthe said...

Such very beautiful, pages, both love the colors you used, and the wonderful lettering . Your own quote is really , so very lovely and so true, yes every human is a miracle- a fantastic thought to write down in your gorgeous bullet journal, dear Astrid.

Dorthe, xxxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I've tried but just couldn't get the hang of the gelatos, maybe I will get them out again. Love how you've used them in your journal. Happy creative weekend, Angela xXx

Patty O'Malley said...

Wonderful journal pages, Astrid! Your artwork is amazing. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. You asked where we get Stamperia papers in the USA. I have purchased mine from three places: Archana Joshi (you can contact her on her Facebook page or her store Crafty City http://www.craftycity.com/); The Rubber Buggy http://www.therubberbuggy.com/ and also Vintage in KC on Facebook. I hope this helps.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Love it that you are using your Gelatos. Mine need to be gotten out as well. Pinning this for inspiration! And love that you used them on deli paper, good to know! xoxo

Let's Art Journal said...

What fantastic pages! It sounds like the gelatos worked so well on your Bujo pages with them being a dry medium and the results are so beautiful 😁. I love how you blended the gelatos filling the page with colour and they are a winning combination with your amazing drawings and handwritten quotes and sayings - perfect! Wow, you are getting so creative this year and I smiled about your new love affair with gelatos as I love them too ...lol 😉. Have a happy Friday and weekend! J 😊

Jackie PN said...

What a fabulous journal Astrid!! I adore the cover as that purple is my fav!! Gorgeous!
And your pages of quotes in your cool lettering- what a super idea- This is really awesome! I love the quotes you have chosen, what a great way to begin 2018!
hugs,Jackie

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love your pages and the beautiful lettering! I have never tried Gelatos but the effect you have created looks fabulous! Hope you are keeping warm - the reports on TV don't look good! Chrisx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Absolutely fantastic pages Astrid! I was thinking about doing another diary for this year but haven't even started one yet so that may not be happening. Looking at your journal though, I am tempted all over again. I love what you've created here and I also took a look at Valerie's work .. she is amazing! Absolutely love this!! Have a fabulous day!! hugs xx

Rita said...

Good Morning Astrid. You never cease to amaze me my friend. Your journaling is always so beautiful and very passionate too. The quotes you have done in these fabulous pages are so true to life for most of us. I would love to do pages like this, so there's an idea for our next visitation. Hugs Rita xxxxxx

Words and Pictures said...

Ooh, yes - especially the brown page appeals to me. You really have found a glowing way with the gelatos... glad to hear I'm not the only one who'd need to dig to find them! I think John Clinton (above me) is spam, no?!!
Alison x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key