Tuesday 12 September 2017

Autumnal tag



Hello friends and thanks for dropping in. Today I am sharing an autumnal tag.

Below I will take you through a quick step by step:

I started with a Ranger size 10 Manilla tag and scraped on a thick layer of rather old gesso, I mention this because it is a bit dried out and very thick, just right for what I wanted it for on this occasion:


I scraped it on with a palette knife and while it was still wet pressed down some old book pages, which I then peeled off again, just leaving some tiny scraps behind, I also pressed a Tim Holtz layering stencil (the crackle one) right into the gesso, using it like a kind of impression plate, this gave me some additional texture. Below is a close up:


I was after a sort of stucco wall effect. Looks kind of all right, but now watch what happened after I brought out some of my sprays, that's when the magic starts to happen....


All I did was give it some quick sprays of a dark brown Ground Espresso Distress spray, I love how it almost looks like birch bark. Here's a close up:


Next I wanted to deepen the colour a bit in the center, so I gave it some further spritzes, dabbing off some of the excess with a bit of paper towel.


On to the embellishing, - I die cut a couple of leaves from thick white card and started to play with some autumnal coloured paints.


I then edged the leaves with a bit of dark brown Distress Ink (Ground Espresso)
Now all I had to do was add a few bits and bobs from my stash to create a kind of autumnal cluster, a sentiment, and I was done.



The wreath thing was a Dusty Attic chippy that I gave a few spritzes of dark brown spray


I added some wired raffia twine, curled around a thin paintbrush to give it all a bit of a rustic look.


The sentiment is just a sticker from the 7 Dots Studio Dreamer collection by Finnabair, I chose it because the colours just matched my project to perfection.


A few bits of ribbon and twine at the top, to carry on the rustic theme, and that was pretty much it....



Even though it is Spring here in Australia, the weather has been pretty cold and wet, and often feels more Autumnal than Springlike so far, fingers crossed the sun will come through before too long.
Many thanks for your visit like always
xxxxx

29 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful textures and fabulous effects with the sprays, a perfect background for your focal autumnal cluster xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous tag Astrid! Love all the textures. Hugs, Valerie

Sandra C. said...

Astrid, your background is awesome; all the rich texture. Beautiful card! I'd love to see another card using the same background but showing more of it! lol Thanks so much for sharing your work!

maria's knutselplezier said...

What an amazing tag, thanks for showing us how to make the background , it looks rather difficult , but so beautiful and rich of texture, a really beautiful tag for a beautiful season to come!!

Have fun!!
Maria

brenda said...

Another stunning piece Astrid, the leave look fabulous and I always love Autumnal creation. On tat subject, inspired by my last visit I spent Sunday with a chipboard heart, stamps and loads on all thinks inky. I keep going back for another little tinker with it it's and am hoping I am happy enough to send it off for the next CB shows.

B x

Annie said...

Your tag is simply stunning Astrid and I loooove that background...totally amazing the way it turned out.

Sending you huge hugs and I hope the sun comes out soon and the weather heats up xx

Huge hugs
Annie xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Wonderful tag!

Pamellia said...

Incredible tag! Your background is spectacular with all the crackle texture and your amazing techniques with the colours! The leaves are just wonderful, so vibrant and textured and I love the arrangement with the berries and the wreath! A fabulous autumn tag, love it! Sending hugs and hoping as is well Astrid :)

Dorthe said...

Such amazing results with the dry gesso, and your use of distress ink, a wow, result, Astrid !! Also the leaves looks gorgeous , and the berries, gives the extra detail of autumn .
I love your tag!!
Hugs, Dorthe

suzyb said...

Those leaves look like the real thing. Love the effect you got with your old gesso. I got the same deal with mine as well, it was too old to use on the project I was doing, but the effect was great.
Love the texture and the colours. Great tag!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Loving fall here in Iowa...and this tag speaks that loud and clear. WOW I love every little piece you shared in your great step by step. I will "try" using some of my new products to come up with something similar for a birthday friend. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

SewPaperPaint said...

There are so many things to admire on this exquisite tag. The leaves are just gorgeous and so realistic! I am in love with this "stucco" background! Wow! What coolness! A winner for sure. Hugs, Autumn

Redanne said...

The background is fabulous and yes it did remind me of Birch bark, you really have coloured it exquisitely, the little wreath with the leaves and berries looks amazing! Beautiful!! Hugs, Anne xx

Meggymay said...

Its a gorgeous autumnal tag Astrid. The background textures look awesome, the leaves are also great colours for the season..
Yvonness

Susan said...

Astrid, I don't know how long I have been following your blog but I know every time one pops up in my in-box I know I am going to love it. Your use of color and texture take my breath away. Thank you so very much for sharing your beautiful creations.

Helen Wallace said...

Stunning texture and tones achieved with that lumpy gesso Astrid. I'm going to view my lumps with new eyes now. Love the leaves and berries with the raffia. A perfect Autumn tag :D

Words and Pictures said...

When I arrived and saw this tag, I simply sighed a deep sigh of pleasure. Deeply, deeply lovely - the vivid berries and leaves against the subtle textured background - and that wiry frame too. I'm in love with this!
Alison x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Perfect use for,that dried out Gesso Astrid. Amazing background texture and I adore your leaves and berries. Gorgeous tag. Tracy x

Marisa Job said...

Gorgeous tag!! Love the Texture in the background too! Just beautiful!!

Margaret Mifsud said...

OOhh!! I really love this tag Astrid!! The background colour and textures are amazing and I love the vibrancy of the leaves .. just gorgeous!! Another stunning creation!! Regardless of our crazy weather, I hope you are enjoying your visit!! hugs xx

The Sparkly Fairy said...

This is beautiful. Autumn is a favourite season of mine. I love the tutorial too :)

maj. said...

Absolutely gorgeous piece of art!!!

Let's Art Journal said...

Your tag is lovely! The bark effect you created is amazing and I actually thought the autumn leaves were real ...lol 😉. Hope you are having a lovely time on your travels and wishing you a Happy Friday and weekend! J 😊

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Astrid, your tag is gorgeous. Perfect autumn feel to it. Thank you for the lovely comment over at mine too. Have a lovely crafty weekend, Angela xXx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Astrid, just wanted to pop over and thank you for joining my followers. Hope you enjoy your visits to mine as much as I enjoy coming here. Thank you for some great inspiration. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous tag Astrid! Love all the texture and beautiful foliage!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

It's amazing that you managed to capture the season on such a small tag! WOW...the texture is fabulous. LOVE the leaves and wire. Brilliant!

Jackie PN said...

Beautiful textures on your beautiful tag Astrid! Lovely!
Jackie xx

sanpiseth40 said...

I actually thought the autumn leaves were real ...lol


ตารางคะแนนลาลีกา

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key