Thursday 25 May 2017

Something just a little different...

Hello everyone and thanks for dropping in here. Today I have something just a little different to share...
Ok, so I admit it is yet another little journal, made with the Eileen Hull Journal die, but this one has my own lettering designs inside. I am always a bit reluctant to share these, as I am still right at the beginning of my lettering journey, but it's all about the journey right, and not perfection, so here goes.

The outside was made with some pretty Prima papers from the Wild and Free collection. As this journal is all about hand lettering I made sure some of the gorgeous vintage lettering was showing, just for inspiration.
The closure is just elastic, no penholder this time, as I am using lots of different pens in here. I added some Distress Crazing medium as well for some crackle effect.
Here you can see the crackle a little better, I inked over it and then wiped away the excess with a baby wipe, so the ink would just go into the cracks.
Here is the spine, I used some slightly elasticated ribbon to hold the inserts inside. It's just stretchy enough for them to slip under.
Here you can see what it looks like from the inside. More pretty lettering on those papers, - it's only when you start to practise lettering yourself that you really appreciate what those lettering artists of the pastachieved, - no digi programmes then, it must all have been done with pen and ink.....
Ok, now to the inserts:
Here is the first one, practising drawing banners.
A few slightly more complex banners, patterns,  and a page of drills. I do loads and loads of those almost every day, it's the only way to get better....
Yet more banners and practising words, mistakes and all I'm afraid.
And finally I share some lettering designs, all of these were copied from things I found on Pinterest mostly. They take ages to do, but I love doing them....
On the left some encouraging words for myself to keep going, and on the right playing with different ways to write a date. Below still a few lettered quotes.
Lesson to learn here, - don't write on too thin paper, it bubbles...... duh
Here I was experimenting with using pencils rather than markers to colour my design. The original was a chalkboard design.
And here the final one, coloured with a mix of Tombow Brush pens, coloured pencils and a white gelli roll pen.

Lastly, if any of you are Eileen Hull's journal die lovers, there is an awesome Facebook group that you can join, here is a link: Journal Lovers Fanclub

Well that's it for today, thanks for your visit and I hope you will find something creative time.
xxxxx

28 comments:

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! This is amazing and I am hooked!!! I have been thinking for a while now about trying to improve my handwriting so I wouldn't be afraid to do it in journals and even on my cards and this is the answer!! Your journal is so gorgeous .. I love the covers inside and out and the crackle on the front is just fabulous!! Your handwriting designs are stunning Astrid and so well executed. I probably wouldn't do the design thing but I am definitely going to make a little book like this so I can practice my writing!!! Thank you so much for the inspiration!!! Have a wonderful day!! hugs xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous Journal, love the lettering you did inside. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Brenda Brown said...

This is glorious Astrid, such a wonderful vintage cover and fabulous pages which really made me smile as I have been doing something very similar. Your hand lettering is brilliant, you are doing a great job with it xxx

Maryann Laursen said...

This is totally amazing Astrid. I wish I could do the lettering just half as good as you. You´ve really got the grip and I´m very sure, that you´ll be perfect in a heartbeat here, as this is really good and looks fabulous hun.
I love your new journal here both inside and out.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Absolutely gorgeous Astrid. Wonderful vintage cover and fantastic details. I love the aged feel. Love your inside detailed pages too. Tracy x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Astrid the practice is paying off - your lettering is fabulous! A true inspiration! As for the gorgeous cover for your journal - Wowser - a fantastic vintage style - looks like the real deal!!! Hugs, Chrisx

annette said...

Love your journal & your lettering is terrific .. I am re-inspired to do more experimentation with script & lettering designs .. thank you .. Annette <3

Scrapintheattic.com said...

Love your journal, perfect for the contents. Wow your lettering is gorgeous x

Karen Aicken said...

Wow - another simply amazing journal. Thanks for sharing your practice pages too - they are inspiring!!

Unknown said...

I am always so inspired by your artwork Astrid. This is STUNNINGLY AMAZING. Your FABULOUS writing just adds to the SUPER vintage flare. Xj.

dottielottie said...

Just popped over from the FB group to take a closer look at your gorgeous journal and see what you are using it for. Just WoW! Loved seeing all your practice lettering which is amazing and looks perfect sat between those lovely vintage covers!

froebelsternchen said...

Your lettering is fantastic Astrid and the journal another WOWSER! Amazing!
Happy weekend ahead!
oxo Susi

Redanne said...

Oh wow Astrid, the covers are gorgeous - I love the crackle and the way you 'aged' them. How lovely to see your beautiful writing skills too, you are doing such an amazing job! Clearly, practice does make perfect!! Hugs, Anne xx

Julia Aston said...

I'm in awe of your dedication to your lettering Astrid - wonderful pages in your beautiful journal - I hope to make myself sit down and work on things like this myself one day!! Julia xx

Sandy said...

Really beautiful Astrid - outstanding! Every page is a delight and your cover really sets the tone of what is to follow. I love the stretchy ribbon. As always, beautiful artwork!! And YES - it is art!!
sandy xx

Caty said...

Your journal is really wonderful Astrid !! Love this so amazing cover. The inside pages are great, and I wouls like to write like you do, just fantastique ! Very happy weekend ! Big hugs,
Caty

SewPaperPaint said...

Astrid, this really takes me back to a former passion. I used to gut books and insert scrapbook pages to collage and included tons and tons of lettering! It was something I loved to do, and sadly haven't done in ages. I think you are wise to inspect work on Pinterest to get a good concept of the possibilities. And your practice strokes are spot on! Keep it up, I so enjoy in your gorgeous vintage style. Hugs, Autumn

sarascloset said...

A lovely album to hold those wonderful practice pages! You are doing fantastic with your letter, I think! Your lettered quotes are amazing! Thank you for sharing your new passion; I love it, and afraid I will never be able to do this form of artwork; I should have flunked penmanship, had it not been for my sister who loved to do my homework for me (and who presently has worse handwriting than me! Ha!) Hugs!

Let's Art Journal said...

Another beautiful journal and oh my, your lettering and designs are amazing! You have created such beautiful pages from your experiments 😀. Wishing you a lovely weekend! J 😊

Helen Wallace said...

Jaw off the floor time here Astrid. Your mini albums are perfect in themselves, but add your practice writing and they step up another notch. I admire your dedication to improving your penwomanship and the results are there on the page for all to see. Absolutely inspiring stuff and you are way to humble about your skills. Thanks for the inspiration.

Marisa Job said...

This is beautiful!! Love it!! Have a great weekend!!

Jackie PN said...

Stunning lettering Astrid!! I just love your journal! xo

Hazel Agnew said...

Wow Astrid, stunning cover and the contents are fabulous! No need to be shy about it, such beautiful work. I have been so consumed by family duties recently that I haven't had time to play. I would love to sit and practice something like this! Maybe next year when the grandchildren are both at school! Xx 😊

Chrisy said...

Beautiful inspiring work

Pawsitively Creative said...

Well I think your lettering is a smashing success! I am in the same boat as you. Just received the Tombow lettering set as a gift and practice practice practice is in the works. Your journal is stunning and filled with fun! Wonderful and clever spine for the pages and the lettering is awesome sauce!

A Pink said...

Wonderful inside and out ! Thank you so much for sharing your lettering journey - the results are fabulous! Seems to nme you have a natural 'hand'.
Keep forgetting to leave some hugs so here's a double dose to make up
hugs xx

Words and Pictures said...

Stunning cover - the crackle over those lovely papers is a treat - and what a delight to see your hand-lettering progress. I love the days of the week and the wonderful lettered quotes. Amazing control and design - beautiful!
Alison x

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh how awesome! I just love making journals. I'm trying to do some calligraphy, well my version... :) I think you're way ahead of me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key