Friday 24 June 2016

Children of the Wild part two

The course I was telling you about in my previous post is all about children and their connection with animals using loads of cool mixed media techniques (the main reason why I decided to do this course).

In the lead up to the full project, there are several practice exercises, using different materials and techniques. Last time I chose to do a child's portrait to practice (I love drawing/painting children's faces), - I am pretty hopeless at doing animals, so in a way that was a cop out. So here are my next two studies/practice pieces, this time using a wild cat....
For this one I used Kate Thomson's sample painting and just drew along with her video.I used lead pencil, Stabilo All pencil, white acrylic, gesso, black India Ink, white soft  pastel crayon. We were meant to use a white oil bar, but I don't have those, so just using what I have.

Here a coloured version, for this one I used a reference photo, again I did not have half the stuff we were meant to use, so used what I had, pencil, Stabilo All, White acrylic and various soft pastels, a white gel pen and a black permanent pen.

It's really good practice to do the same animal in different ways, you get a much better feel for them.

Thank you for indulging me with my arty efforts, hope I am not boring you to tears. The link to the course can be found in my first post on this topic.
Nearly the weekend, I am feeling a bit desperate about the results of the referendum here in the UK, but democracy has ruled and now we will have to live with the results. Hope you have a good weekend!
xxxxx

20 comments:

brenda said...

Another lovely display of your wonderful artwork Astrid, it's a pleasure to see.

B x

chrissie said...

This is amazing Astrid. The face has so much feeling in it.

Love Chrissie xx

Meggymay said...

Awesome, both drawings are lovely, but the second one would have to be a favourite , loved the facial details.Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Bored? You're joking - I am enjoying seeing these so much! LoVe the second one especially! Hugs, Chrisx

Patty O'Malley said...

I think this is fantastic, Astrid!

Corrie Herriman said...

Wow, you are very talented Astrid !
Fantastic !
Corrie x

Redanne said...

You are not boring me at all, I love seeing all of your art. You are certainly not hopeless at drawing animals, both pictures are fantastic! I particularly love the coloured one... Hugs, Anne xx

Pawsitively Creative said...

Not bored at all. Very intriguing cat and details, then you go and add the color and it is super! Love that you used what you had on hand. Fantabulous! ~Niki

Deb said...

The only tears you are eliciting with your lovely art are tears of joy Astrid, this is gorgeous! You have really captured the wild cat in your sketches, thank you so much for sharing them, Deb xo

rachel said...

oh my Astrid - this is amazing - love it x

Kathy Bradley said...

Astrid, your sketch is gorgeous - you have a wonderful and artistic soul.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Fantastic, just fantastic!

Brenda Brown said...

Not bored Astrid just want to see more of your exciting art, love these drawings and the way you have coloured the cat, just love it all xxx

Pamellia said...

Holy cow Astrid, I am swooning over this one!! Absolutely amazing!! WOW! hugs :)

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Astrid you are a talented artist in whatever you are creating. Your drawing/paints are beautiful. The child in the previous post is fantastic. I love the cat as well. Thanks for all your inspiration, Shirleyxx

Barbara said...

I'm in awe, you are so talented! Your drawing is so beautiful! Wonderful work! barbara

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Eres una artista!! que bonito dibujo, besos

Paper Profusion said...

You are wonderfully talented Astrid - your fox is fabulously done. Have a lovely week to come. (For what it is worth, I share your desperation! Result will have dreadful knock on implications for us, however, as you say democracy must rule. Everyone better tighten their seatbelts though - its going to be a very rocky road). Nicola x

Margaret Mifsud said...

How could we ever possible be bored with your amazing art pieces Astrid .. visiting your blog is always so inspirational .. I really need to do it more often. I loved the black and white sketch .. and then you coloured it .. WOW!! It is awesome!! Love, love, love!!! xx

Words and Pictures said...

Beautiful - and I, for one, feel privileged to be following your artistic journey - never bored.

Politics - desperate, disconsolate, angry, disturbed at the fallout - and profoundly grateful that I already have my dual nationality.
Alison x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key