Thursday 23 October 2014

Tag time again

Hi all and thanks for dropping in here again.
A few days ago I did a long post over at A Vintage Journey, sharing an outline of my experiments with the new Tim Holtz Distress Sprays. Here on my own blog I will be sharing some more of the details on how I made some of the finished tags. So here goes, on to the next two tags:
For this one I scraped some Wendy Vecchi Crackle paste through the Tim Holtz Crocodile Layering Stencil, one I don't use very often.
When using crackle paste you want to use something with big openings, otherwise the effect of the crackle would just disappear.
Next I spritzt the tag with water to make sure the sprays would mix well. For this one I used Tea Dye, Iced Spruce, Peeled Paint and Evergreen Bow. I dried them with my heat gun, as you can see they adhere beautifully to the paste and pool in all the cracks and crevices.

Now I would have loved to add the Layered Dragonfly die to this, but it is too large for a size 8 tag, so I stamped the dragonfly from the Classic 1 stamp set instead. I stamped it twice, fussy cut the first one and for the second one I just cut the wings and ran them through an embossingfolder to give the wings some texture. I coloured both with the same colours of Distress ink and then highlighted the raised bit with treasure gold. Finally I finished the tag with some further embellishments, a little key, coloured with some Distress paints, a stamped ticket and a philosophy tag. The damask shape behind the dragon fly was an old Sizzix die and I cut it from some Tim Holtz packaging

The next tag is a Christmassy one, using various embossing folders:

I put a size 8 tag again through an embossalicious snowflake embossing folder:
Next I used the Brushed Pewter and Black Soot sprays and then added quite a bit of  Picket Fence to lighten it.
Now this bit is important: If I did it again, I would colour the tag first, let it dry and only then run it through the folder as you loose quite a bit of the embossing in the background through the water content in the sprays.

Anyway, I then ran a bit of white card through a Sheena Douglas embossing folder. This one has really large beautiful flakes on it. So I cut out one of the flakes, highlighted the raised bit with Pewter Treasure Gold and used that as an embellishment.

I added a little old clock face to the center of the flake just for some added interest.
For the bottom of the tag I added a torn strip with some smaller flakes that are on the same embossing folder.
Again, the raised bits are highlighted with the pewter treasure gold. Finally I used the candy cane from the Christmas Blueprints 3 set.
I coloured it with Derwent Inktense pencils.

Well, that's it for today's installment, I may do a couple more in a few days time.

Thanks for visiting like always and I hope you get some creative time, - it's good for the soul!
xxx


38 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

Both tags are absolutely gorgeous Astrid! Amazing projects!
♥♥♥
Susi

Rita said...

Wonderful tags Astrid with brilliant tutorials to match. Will definitely give this a try. Have a Good Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Nikki Acton said...

Wonderful,tags and textures Astrid. I must get some more distress sprays at the NEC in a couple of weeks, I love your colour choices and don't have them. Nikki xxxx

Valerie-Jael said...

God morning, Astrid! Fantastic tags, so many wonderful details! Have a great day, Valerie

Jane said...

Gorgeous tags Astrid. I love the colour combo of the snowflake one...I must give that a try. Thanks for sharing all these tips. I would love some sprays but may just have to wait for Father Christmas :-) x

Maryann Laursen said...

Amazing work here as always Astrid, and I think, we have pretty alike tastes, when it comes to colors, as you always seems to pick all my favorites ha ha ha. I love your gorgeous tags, they´re always sooo beautiful. Stunning work again hun. Keep them comming.

Deborah said...

Love the intense colour and texture of the first one and the wonderful contrast between the pewtery background and crispness of the candy cane on the second. Brill!

www.deeadamsart.blogspot.co.uk said...

Lovely tags I am hoping for my boys to get me some for Xmas. Love the effects with the crackle paste. Dee x

chrissie said...

Stunning tags and I love the look of the crackle paste so must buy some to try.

Love Chrissie x

Dagmar said...

Thanks for the "making of " - the tags are fantastic!!!! I must say in german:
Der Hintergrund des ersten Tags sieht aus wie die Haut eines Reptil - einfach tolle Farbeffekte! Ganz liebe Grüße, Dagmar

Rosie said...

Wow, Astrid, both tags are absolutely gorgeous.

Suzanne C said...

Stunning series of tags!

Chrysalis said...

They are really beautiful, Astrid! Thanks so much for sharing, and for the lovely clear instructions - even I could follow them! Have a great day, Chris x

Gitte said...

Beautiful tags.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Yummy!! You do backgrounds like nobody else. These are absolutely fantastic. Love the dragonfly on the first one and the clock face on the snowflake for the second one is inspired. Terrific tags!

Hugs,
Linda

She Reads Late Into the Night said...

Love your tags especially the Christmas one it makes me want to go pull out the boxes with my Christmas items in it and start making things!

Nicole Wright Designs said...

I love the backgrounds Astrid. Great tutorial on the sprays. I am up to 7 now ;)I played with on my Death Do Us Part card and I love them. So seeing them used like this is great.

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous tags, I love the texture. Your tutorial is wonderful, thank you! Have a great day, Shirleyxx

Pamellia said...

Wow Astrid, these are amazing! The crackle paste really works well with the sprays and I love the colours you used! Such a rustic Christmas tag, just the way I like it...so fabulous, the both of them! hugs :)

Holly M said...

These tags are beautiful. Thanks for all the instructions.

Dorthe said...

They are magic both and and your backgrounds so beautiful, I love the colours on the first one Astrid, it looks fantastic with the Crocodile stencil,- and the wonderful embossed second one, and with the great idea of the clock in the snowflake!! Wish you a lovely evening!!
Dorthe xo

Matilde said...

Marvellous projects!!!

craftytrog said...

Beautiful tags Astrid, very inspiring! x

Meggymay said...

Two stunning tags, great textures and the tips on the crackle paste.
Yvonne

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Astrid,
Great Tags, the Christmas one is stunning, I actually like the subtlety of the embossed Bg.
Smiles:)
Sue

rachel said...

stunning tags Astrid - I love them both but that first one is just stunning - love the colours. Hugs rachel x

Anneke said...

Real fun reading your blogpost. Love the way you showde us what youngad done to make these beautiful tags. I must buy some of these nieuw spays. They look gorgeous on your tags.nthanks for inspiring me Anneke.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Both of these are gorgeous, but the dragonfly one is eye candy for me! LOVE the brown die cut to really make that bug pop!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors too! Great background on the candy cane!

Sandy said...

Always beautifully designed with gorgeous texture!
Sandy xx

Ros Crawford said...

Wonderful tags!! I really like that crackle paste!

Redanne said...

It has been lovely to see more of how you created these gorgeous tags Astrid, I love the dragonfly one and the snowflake one is very striking. Anne xx

Terry said...

Oh I do enjoy watching the process of your beautiful tags! That crackle paste looks amazing with the sprays! Both tags are gorgeous! Happy Weekend!

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh I like the tags they are gorgeous maybe I will get into the Tim Holtz card stuff.
I usually use vintage items to make my cards and tags

Juliz Design Post said...

Thanks for the tips and great to see the results of colour mixes.
Julie x

Jackie PN said...

Thank you so much for sharing dear Astrid! Not that I could ever gain the beauty that you do, but I sure would like to give it a try! and by viewing your tuts - I am inspired! xo

Marjie Kemper said...

These are wonderful - love the bright pop of color of the candy cane and your rich backgrounds.

Jenny Marples said...

A veritable feast for the eyes here Astrid. Jenny x

Jools Robertson said...

Beautiful! Love the crackle crocodile
Such beautiful rich earthy peacock colours

Jools x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key