Thursday, 7 July 2011

Shrine dedicated to womanhood

I have been learning how to make shrines from Christina Zinnia Galliher in one of my art groups Roses on My Table. (She is an amazing mixed media artist who also offers a class at Artful Gathering). If you are more interested in getting your degree in art, check out mfadegree.net!
The shrine is made from foam board, covered in tissue paper, different acrylic paints and then embellished. I am planning to make 4 shrines, dedicated to the 4 different stages of womanhood, maiden, bride, mother and wise woman. Traditionally in ancient Celtic religion each of these stages had it's own feast day, the maiden or virgin on February 1 was Imbolc, the bride or temptress on May 1, Beltane, the Mother on August 1, Llamas and finally the wise woman or witch on the eve of October 31, that's the one we all know as Halloween of course, its old Celtic name was Samhain. This shrine is dedicated to the stage of the young innocent girl. The white roses are for purity, the other bits symbolize the innocence of childhood for me.







One last thing I wanted to tell you about, a new art blog is going to be created, please see below


You can find out more about it here

18 comments:

My name is Cindy said...

Lovely shrine Astrid and what a great idea to do a series. Still want to do a swap but time keeps running away from me!!
Cindy x

Netty said...

This is such an interesting post Astrid, I am totally fascinated.
This beautiful shrine must have taken you ages. Am so looking forward to seeing the rest of them. Have a great weekend, Annette x

Terri Kahrs said...

Astrid, your shrine is STUNNING! You're very brave to try creating things in 3D, and I give you a ton of credit. All of the detail in this piece is fascinating.

How interesting to learn that Uamas' feast is August 1st - my youngest son's B'day!!! Coincidence . . . I don't think so!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Janet Ghio said...

Beautiful-love the butterflies on the sides. Look forward to the next shrine. Great class isn't it!!

Anke said...

WOW ein zauberhaftes Werk liebe Astrid, wunderschön gestaltet.

Liebe Grüße
von Anke

Junibears said...

You make such wonderful things Astrid. Your shrine is just gorgeous. I love it. Hugs xx

fairyrocks said...

Interesting and amazing shrine, just gorgeous.
Good luck on your new blog. I am working towards more altered things on my blog.Perhaps I can join if I fit the criteria.
Keep smiling and creating

Artfully Musing said...

Astrid you've done a wonderful job. I can't wait to see the others. Laura

WendyK said...

A fantastic shrine Astrid, love all the different elements.

Renee Stien said...

Astrid, such fine work - can't wait to see the whole series, this one is lovely!

roc said...

what a beautiful shrine astrid! just awesome!

Martina2801 said...

Astrid, your work is always nothing less than stunning! This piece is no exception! SO BEAUTIFUL!

Lesley said...

Hi Astrid, lovely shrine. Can't wait to see the others. This looks fun and very interesting. Enjoy your classes.
Lesley

Femmy said...

such a beautiful shrine Astrid!

Taluula said...

Astrid, your shrine is fantastic and I can't wait to see all four come along. Kudos to you my friend.

Heather Jacob said...

wow you have outdone yourself here Astrid.. absolutely magical and exquisite .... cant take my eyes off it ... wonderful art ... hugz x

and that new blog sounds fabulous ... the link does not seem to work for me .. how can I find out more , could you email me with some details please my friend .. take care .. xoxoxo

Dorthe said...

Astrid, your shrine is fantastic,
love how you coloured all to match together- and love the thoughts behind.It is very beautiful, -as I`m on some of Zinnia`s classes,too, I will think of also taking this one. Looks so wonderful.
Thankyou for your comment today, -made me glad.
xo, Dorthe

carole brungar said...

Pretty work! Lovely blog :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo
Loading...

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key